• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Table for two or Big Table?

Rate this topic

Suzila

An interesting question.

Thanks for the poll.

I only want a table for 2.

My husband and I are not interested in conversing with other people on our cruises or any other vacation for that matter. We are not very "social" people.

We adore each other and desire maximum privacy to yak, analyze, dream and be together.

We cruise because we are ship lovers (hence my "handle") and we adore the ship, its construction, the movement and the roll of the waves off the bow. We are very much not interested in the "group" stuff. This is why the 91,000 ton ships are as large as we will sail on. The big ships will not be patronized.

Since we seem to be (thus far) in the minority, here is the reasons why we want only a table for 2

1) We are very private people

2) Food and service are very important to us and we do not desire to be distracted during dining

3) We live in a very large city and are quite frankly fed up dealing with people. We take a 2,000 person commuter train to work and have truly had it listening to peoples cell phone conversations and loud discussions etc. The last thing we want to do on vacation is deal with more people.

Perhaps if folks live in a smaller place, talking to new people would be interesting. For us it is a hardship.

Thanks

ABoatNerd

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are very much not interested in the "group" stuff
We live in a very large city and are quite frankly fed up dealing with people.

Now I understand the reasons for the type of posting you've done here before. What I don't understand is why you're posting here at all. I think it's rather unfortunate that you feel this way. You're missing out on a lot of interesting experiences that memories are made of and a lot of interesting people who could turn out to be wonderful friends. I think it's great that you and your husband have such a wonderful relationship but can't that relationship withstand being with others?? This is not meant as a negative post toward you but based on what you're posted here in the past and today, I feel that you prefer honesty and sincerety and that's exactly what I'm giving in this post. Cheryl

Cheryl I agree with you on this one 100%, not to be negative to a fellow cruise crazie but why would you want to come to this board and post? From everything that I've seen the people who post here are friendly and outgoing, talkative, we are a small community. If ABoatnerd is not a social type person why come to this board at all? For the interaction?

For you Aboatnerd join the human race, we aren't all that bad!!!! And sometimes we like to have fun.

We have had both. On a couple of our anniversary cruises we requested a table for two. On all the rest we like a table for 6 to 8. Maybe we are fortunate, or maybe just open minded enough, that we enjoyed the company of most of our table mates.

ABoatNerd, we are likable people, if you sat with us you would find that out. Maybe on your next Crystal cruise you could book us a cabin in steerage and we will sit with you for diner. If you didn't like us you could have the Maitre 'D to find us another table. :wink: :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: On our 1st cruise we sat with another couple that my wife works with and we weren't sure about anything so we only got a table for 4. On our 2nd cruise, with 2 kids, we got a table for 6 and the other couple never showed up. I think we'll get large tables from now on so we can meet more cruisers. :cheesy: :cheesy:

We prefer the larger tables - in fact the larger the better. We have met some great new friends around the dinner table on a ship and we can dine alone every night at home. If we want a dinner alone during the cruise there are always alternative dining options available to us.

I can truly understand ABoatNerd.

Do I agree with her? Partially. Do I agree with Miss C and Chris ..Partially.

When we go on cruises we do so not to meet others but to enjoy each other's company, to see new places and to add to that experience by occasionally interacting with others, Dinner time is special to us.. and to that extent, we prefer a table for two, before dinner we usually meet friends and or associates for beverages and then again after dinner for shows and dancing, even on excursions we meet and mingle, but its the meal times that we tend to hold sacred and tend to prefer letting that time be dedicated to just us!

I believe living in a major metro area like LA or NY(14M is a lot of peoples dont you agree) tend to make ones anti social, I know my attitude about people have change slightly since my move west.

Not all folks in this world are as Friendly and Outgoing as the people here on Cruise Crazies.

People in the real world, where we live tend to be all about Them Them Them . Yes its nice to come here and reach more of the people that I DO like to associate with, and I would be crushed if you guys thought that we were anti social because we choose to dine alone, Not everything needs to be a group thing, but I do think that by doing “group things you are able to appreciate your mate on a new level.

JMHO

We like large tables. We like hearing about what everyone else has done each day. Maybe after hearing about it, we may want to do the same on a future cruise. At home, we eat at a table for two every day. Socializing with other people on a cruise is all part of the cruise experience for us. So far, we have never had a reason to change our table because we haven't liked the other people at our table. You can always find something to talk about. :grin:

Howard

Please don't get me wrong. I completely understand couples wanting to spend quality time alone together on a cruise. Wayne and I do that quite often.It is not that I take issue with A Boat Nerd's views on anything. What I take issue with is the tone of A Boat Nerd's posts. It is comments like this and others from her 10 different posts that I have the problem with.Every member hear who posts , manages to state their views without anger and nastiness toward other posters. However, it is just my opinion, that A Boat Nerd doesn't seem to show respect for other posters' views when making comments such as these. Maybe I'm too sensitive but no friend of mine would ever speak to me like that, nor have I ever seen CruiseCrazies members post with that type of attitude.

I have personally tripped a number of "heathens" running in the halls at 12 midnight (sticking the leg out the door when they come your way does wonders!!!!). I have also grabbed more than one shrieking kid running around my chair and shoved them towards their stupid parents with a stiff warning to keep their "monsters" out of my spa
I think this comment also caught my attention. Just my opinion, but tripping and grabbing someone else's kid is a really inappropriate way to handle these issues about unruly kids. I'm not saying here that adults should turn the other way. However, I , personally , feel that this type of behavior from an adult is way out there. Just my opinion.

ABoatNerd is, apparently, one of those people who not only always perceives the glass as half empty, but is just waiting for someone to come along, tip it over and spill out what's left!

Sorry folks, life is too short, even to me, to be that negative!

But, then, again, what can you expect of a person who goes around tripping small children and "shoving'" them around. By the way, that is, legally, condered a 'battery' upon that person and the perpetrator could, technically, be prosecuted.

I'm glad I sail on large (over 100,000grt) ships and always sit at a table for 6-8-10. That way I won't run into people like ABoatNerd!