• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Table for two or Big Table?

Rate this topic

Suzila

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tripping and shoving young children is not my idea of an appropriate, adult response to unruly children. Let's place the blame where it belongs, with the parents....

Unless, of course, your the type of person who gets a kick out of assaulting small children and proving you are no better than the "little heathens....", only bigger!

We usually ask for a table for eight. We enjoy meeting people, and we've always had great tablemates. At a table for eight, you have a chance of having some people with things in common, and you can still talk without shouting. The best thing to do is to keep changing seats on different nights, and then you get a chance to talk to everyone.

A very good morning CruiseCrazies:

Interesting reasons for preferences of table size.

Thank you GottaCruz for your query about my reasons for posting on a cruise board. You are most professional in your approach.

I cruise because I adore ships. The people on the ship are far less of importance than the ship and the sea. Myself and others I know cruise because we are "boatnerds". We are an anomoly (ie outside the bell curve), hence why most people on cruise boards can not fathom our approach to cruising. I enjoy these these boards are excellent venues for sharing information and keeping abreast of cruising changes.

I do love the observation by one poster that most people only want to hear "good information" - absolutely true - hence the entirely predictable backlash when a poster posts something "negative" about a cruise line. Oh well.

Another poster noted the tendency for folks from large cities to become "anti-social" - well of course. Folks in smaller communities are more friendly and social and genuine. I am counting the days towards my retirement in the small town I have selected.

The "forced association" dining tendencies in cruising are as old as the first passenger ships. However, they are the reverse of land based vacations - and from what I can see "forced association" dining is no where to be found in travel, other than cruising and bus trips (I am sure someone will inform me of other examples, if there are any). I recently adored my golf vacation at the Arizona Biltmore. No "forced association" on anything, other than coupling up for golfing.

So, I will continue to cruise and request the table for 2.

Happy and safe cruising to all

ABoatNerd

Hi ABoatNerd,

Thanks for your most recent post.

I for one understand where your posts are coming from.

The desire for your elitist status while on vacation should be as hopefully it will always be, your decision.

Whether or not you are inside or outside the bell curve is irrelevant in MHO.

The bottom line is your right to associate or not with anyone on board a ship, at a hotel in Arizona , or in the middle of times square.

When we first started cruising we were on a popular mass line that gave us no option for a duce.

We never sailed them again, but then again that was our choice, Choice is nice, although choice isn’t always guaranteed.

So many people love the camaraderie that is developed onboard a cruise ship and that makes or breaks their vacation experience.

I am happy to see that you, are still able to take the type of vacations that you desire, and I sincerely hope that you never run out of options on the seas.

Although I do not recall reading in any of your posts which cruise line you and your mate prefer to sail on, I would not be surprised to find out it is one that is part of the upscale market.

“Another poster noted the tendency for folks from large cities to become "anti-social" - well of course. Folks in smaller communities are more friendly and social and genuine. I am counting the days towards my retirement in the small town I have selected.â€Â<]

I just hope that when it comes time for you to “retire†you and your mate wont have forgotten how to interact with people.

All the best and please keep going with your insightful posts, as its has been said “ it takes a village to raise a child , just like it takes different opinions to make a person go Hmmmmmm.

Thanks, ABoatNerd for my hmmmmmm.

And best of luck on your future vacations, may you never be forced to interact with others.

Nerd:

I think your entire attitude, and cynical way of looking at things, is summed up in your statement, “The people on the ship are far less of importance than the ship and the sea.†You just don’t care for people…. Maybe you feel you’re ‘above’ most of them, far smarter, far more experienced and knowledgeable.

As for me, nice people, pleasant tablemates, and, generally, fun fellow-passengers can make a cruise a wonderful experience.

As far as you assertation that, “ ‘forced association’ dining is no where to be found in travel….†You have to know the history of the cruise experience, which is based on the hotels of the Catskill Mountains, in the 40’s and 50’s, where meals were, in fact, served at set times, with the guests having assigned tables, tablemates and servers.

In fact, many aspects of cruising are based on that experience.

But, then, again, I’m sure you knew that, but just forgot……..You do seem to know EVERYTHING!

By the way, I definately take exception to your statement that, "Folks in smaller communities are more friendly and social and genuine." I grew up in NYC and found people in my neighborhood were like "small town folk." The city was made up of many communities, each one like a little town.

Perhaps what you see with people is a reflection of your attitude, and how you treat them.

Since you like to quote Ann Landers: “People who care about each other enjoy doing things for one another. They don't consider it servitude.â€Â

We definitely prefer table for two unless the kids are with us. Then we want a table for 4. I don't choose to share my dinner time with others. It is family time for me. When my wife and I cruise together it is some of the only quality time we get in our busy lives with work and children, so we enjoy doing our own thing together, whether on our own in port or at meals.

We can certainly enjoy other people, both my wife and I are sales..my wife as a banker and I in the travel industry, and I have found a few clients by accident when eating at large tables during dining room breakfasts. But on our first two three cruises we were seated at tables for 4 or 6 with people we were really incompatible with and we didn't know enough then to know we could have had the maitre de make a switch. That convinced us to enjoy our table for two for dinner. Service seems better, we eat at our pace, we don't have to wait for others, we don't have to feel guilty not sharing our $25-30 bottle of wine, or self conscious ordering two entrees or anything like that.

JMHO

I think that sitting at a table with others is...an adventure. And that is really what travelling is all about, yes? Being seated with delightful people and forming friendships with people from other parts of the world is fantastic. Feeling like you've been "stuck" with horrid people is fodder for discussion later in the evening. (but we would never speak ill of others, would we? lol) I, myself, think that I am a fantastic and pleasant dinner companion, contribute glittering conversation to the table and am never boring. HA!