• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Taxi in New Orleans

Rate this topic

dahdwdp

That's what it looks like. I have been writing someone else on here (Tut) who is also booked on the same cruise. She talked to Carnival and it looks pretty good for Galveston. I have never even been to Galveston. Anyone got any clues/tips? Looks like we will drive from Memphis because we had planned to drive to N.O.

While I hate that my vacation plans have changed, I feel so incredibly blessed each time I take a shower or brush my teeth or drink a glass or water.

We cruised out of Galveston Island three years ago. We enjoyed the port, and it was also our first trip to Texas. We stayed at the Hotel Galvez http://www.galveston.com/galvez/ right on the gulf. We will probably be there for our Dec cruise instead of NOLA. Instead of our plan drive we will have to fly, as we live 300 miles north of Memphis and that added drive time is just a little to much.

I just got my official notification. $50 credit and leaving out of Galveston. I personally do not think that is incredibly generous. We had a 6 mile drive planned and now we would need to drive another 2-3 hours or fly and pay an $80 shuttle fee one way from the airport to the port. Sorry if I sound bitter. As I said previously, my husband needs a vacation - works 80+ hours a week and I would have hoped they would have done something a little more generous - even pay the shuttle. I guess we will get our money back and fly to some all inclusive. My heart breaks for those people and I find myself crying quite a bit for them so please don't think I am heartless.

Anyone got any ideas for another vacation?

Debbie :huh:

I realize it's extremely disappointing when changes have to be made to a much-anticipated cruise, but I don't think this could be helped. We experienced a few excursion changes on our recent western Caribbean cruise because of Hurricane Dennis.

I saw this on another message board I frequent, and wonder if this may help you. Maybe you could call Carnival and ask about this deal. In the case it's on the up and up, then maybe it would be worth it to you to drive the 2-3 hours, instead of looking for another type of vacation. I don't know where you live, but here in California, a 2-3 hour drive is nothing for us. I know I would drive that length of time to go on a cruise.

I don't know this person who posted this, but if I were you, I'd be looking into this. Good luck to you, Sue

----

"I am signed up at farealert and got this deal in an email:

Due to damage from Hurricane Katrina, Carnival Cruise Lines has moved their "Carnival Conquest" ship from New Orleans to Galveston, TX. The ship is mostly empty, and they are reportedly selling cabins for a 5-night cruise which departs September 5 for as low as $80/person (double occupancy) for an interior room and $179/person (double occupancy) for an ocean view. Great deals may be available for other lightly booked cruises in the near future as well. Ports of call include Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Cozumel. This deal is not listed on their website, you must call them (1-888-CARNIVAL) to book this."

Thanks for the info. As I said, my heart is broken for those people like almost everyone else. It is just that this is the only time my husband can take his only vacation this year. He needs to get away. We were driving 6 hours to N.O. and now will drive 9+ hours (from Memphis). It looks like we are going to go ahead and do this. I found a website called Park, Sleep and Fly and we can drive there, spend the night, get round trip shuttle to the port and leave our car there for $119 plus all the taxes. That doesn't seem too bad. So we looked at it and really, all we are doing is adding another tank of gas or so each way to our trip. Now, we hope gas doesn't go to $5 (which we really don't think it will). We so had our hearts set on a cruise because that is the best way for him to relax.

Thank you everyone! It is great to have you guys to talk to! :smiley:

Debbie