• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cab/ Private pick up

Rate this topic

cruisinmama

The service we are planning to use in LA is www.supershuttle.com and they operate in Miami area as well. You can give their Miami office a call at (305) 871-2100 and ask how much to pick you up from FLL and take you to the hotel. It's probably similar to what you have already found. If you take the shared ride, or the exclusive use, it's still going to be a lot cheaper than taking 2 taxis that far. I recall about 10 years ago, the approximate taxi fare from FLL to MIA was about 50 bucks, so going even further to the port would probably push you to 80 bucks or so in today's money.

Another option might be a car rental. They are certainly available at FLL but you would have to find out what your options are at the Miami end for return.

I know in FLL that Budget has a return site just outside the Port Everglades entrance and they charge an extra $4.00 on the rental to bus everyone into the pier.

Last winter we had a convertible for $35.00 plus taxes and fees. Next March we will have five people plus luggage so we will rent a van.

Bodger

When we were there a few weeks ago we walked directly out of the FLL Airport and there is a desk in front of the airport set up for a shuttle. We wanted to go to a hotel in South Beach to meet our friends and it cost us $17/person. They used a van for pickup. The guy at the desk said it could be a half hour wait, and the van got there within 10 minutes.

We asked how much it would be if we went to the Miami port instead of South Beach, and it was $17/person too. He told us it didn't matter where in Miami we were going.

It's directly outside the airport. You can't miss it. And if you do, just ask anyone where the shuttle is to Miami.

Sue

I really don't think you have to arrange for anything in advance. I (the worrier in the family) don't like to go anywhere unprepared, but hubby, (the traveller with no worries, whatsoever), said, "Let's decide what we're going to do when we get there". I was armed with all kinds of info, just like you are.

We didn't know if we were going to go directly to the port and sit for hours until they opened, or if we would go to our friends' hotel room (our plane landed at 6:00am...who wants to see a friend at that hour?). As it turns out, by the time we got our luggage and got out to the front of the airport, it was going on 8:00am. And, we decided to go to their hotel, and wait until a decent hour to call them.

So, the desk right in front of the airport said $17/per person...anywhere in Miami. We took it to the hotel and called our friends about 9:00am. It['s at least a half hour ride to Miami.

You'll be fine without making any kind of advance reservations and $17/person was inexpensive, I thought. It's an air-conditioned van.

I can't tell you much about when you get off the ship. We had a late flight leaving FLL, so took a Miami excursion from the ship that took us directly to the airport when it was done. But there were plenty of shuttle vans at the port when the ship docked. You probably can talk to the Pursers desk onboard and get info about how to get to your hotel or the airport.

If you wanted to take an excursion the last day of the cruise, they will take you directly to the airport, then you can get your car rental then.

We were on Carnival and they only had one excursion to choose from that was going to FLL, but had 4 excursions available that would leave you off at the Miami Airport.

Sue