• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

I have a Camera problem

Rate this topic

JoeyandDavid

Hey Everyone!

Here is my problem.

I want to buy a digital camera, and don’t know what to buy. I don’t understand the terms or the language that is talked about.

I did know something about Old School Cameras with the different film speed and exposures and all the information.

I need something that is a decent camera, that takes good quality pictures that would be used mostly for up loading and occasionally printed out.

A camera that has a zoom feature and that is automatic as far as focus and lighting needs.

And a memory stick that will hold enough pictures for a day of excursions I figured that maybe 75 or so… Most of the pictures are scenic although 15% may be posed people( like I said I don’t Know)

I was looking to pay no more (but will but better performance) than 199.99 USD.

Could anyone provide me with a brand name and model number they would recommend also how much stick do I have to have.

I hope someone will advise .

Thanks again

Look for something in the 4 megapixel range, (or 3 if it's a generally better camera). Optical zoom trumps digital zoom. 256 and 512 mb SD memory cards are cheap now, and each will hold hundreds of pics. Nikon are one of the top names in digital cameras, but might be above your price range. You won't go wrong with Fuji or Kodak either. jbond will have lots of good info on this topic when he reads it.

I have a Fuji FinePix A345. This is the 2nd Fuji Finepix I've owned. I loved the first so much that when it was time for an upgrade I stayed with them. It is 4 megapixels with a 3x optical zoom that uses XD memory cards. My daughter and my mom have one also.

Love the ease of use and the quick easy uploads. My mom isn't computer or camera literate and I taught her to use hers very easily. They make bigger and better models but I like the simplicity of this model.

Joey I also own a Fuji finepix, not really sure of the model because Karen has absconded with it. It takes great pics and has some nice add ons, one of the few that has lens that are changeable. Mine is three yrs old and at the time I paid just over $350 for it but prices have come down and the memory cards are unbeleivable. On our cruise in Jan I borrowed a 156mg(I think that is what it was) took well over 200 pics with the setting just below fine(you are able to blow up photo to 8x10 with out loosing anything.

I'm sure you will hear from everyone on their favorite brand, so pick and choose as there are a lot of nice equipment out there.

For pricing I would try Best Buy just to give you an idea of the current cost of cameras, then do your normal search on the internet :grin:

We have a Kodak easy share....4.2 Megapixel

Optical Zoom 3x

Camera Type Standard Point and Shoot

Optical Zoom 3x

35mm Zoom Lens 35 - 105 mm

Digital Zoom 3.3x

Built-in • MMC Card • SD Card

Built-in Memory Size 16 MB

It holds over 300 pictures also can add more using memory card, size you chosoe..

Self Timer 10 Sec.

Built-in Microphone With Built-in Microphone

Built-in Speaker With Built-in Speaker

Tripod Mount With Tripod Mount

You can also take videos on it...

Video

Video Speed 15 fps

Max Movie Length Without Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)

Video Format QuickTime

We love this one and have no problems with it....

ok great information.. It looks to me if most are saying fuji and kodak are leading the way ..

Thanks to Dan The information you provided . That was perfect

Back in the day Dad and I used to buy Minolta and cannon 35mm cameras.

I guess the problem I am having is I dont know if the camera I look at is worth the money they are asking?! :sealedlips:

Dan, maybe if you would tell me what a good price for a camera that you described would be? should i be prepared to spend 250/300 usd?

Honestly, I wouldn't know what a good price is in your area. Prices seem to fluctuate between areas, and that's not taking into account the exchange rate from Canada. The Fuji Finepix A345 that sailingrose mentioned above looks like a very nice camera, at $179 at Best Buy.. You can tack on a 128mb XD memory card for another $27, or you can probably beat that at Costco.

Also if you have a Target in your area they do a pretty good job with prices. When DH bought my camera in May he paid a little more then Dan said. The nice thing about that model is that you edit the pictures a little right on the screen of the camera. New feature. It's not much of a correction but usually just enough to put the person in the middle of the photo. Excellent with DH as he seems to cut off heads all the time. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I decided and purchased today the Fujifilm FinePixA345.

I also purchased the recharger for batteries and the total on my CC with tax was $221.26. I came in under budget so I am pleased.. Thanks again all