• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

NCL Sun to Alaska

Rate this topic

rcox32

First post here, so forgive me if I've fouled it up.

My wife and I are booked on the NCL-Sun for a roundtrip cruise to Alaska (Inside) from Seattle. We'll have a cabin w/balcony on the starboard side. We are really excited about finally going to Alaska! We've been on 7-9 cruises already, but they've all been to the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, or Western Carib.

If anyone has been on this same ship OR cruise, I'd love to hear any suggestions on shore excursions (do's AND dont's) or ship specific info.

Thanks and nice to be here!

Bob & Debbie C.

Welcome to CriesCrazies. We were on an Alaskan Cruise last year and thought that it was our best by far. What month are you going up there? Which ports will you be stopping at? We were in Ketchikan, Juneau , and Skagway. We did a whale watch in Juneau which was about the best excursion we ever did. The amount of whales that we saw was unbelievable. In Skagway, we did the White Pass railroad. This is also well worth it. The views that you get from the train is nothing short of spectacular. In Ketchikan, we did a walking tour on our own. we felt that we may get a better feel for the area that waty. We did enjoy that very much, also.

Remember to bring along clothing so you can layer. Around the glaciers, it can be quite chilly. We were there in the beginning of July, and the temp was in the forties around the glaciers. Also, bring lots of film. There is always a good picture wherever you look. It's good that you have a balcony on this cruise. It really is a great addition to an Alaskan cruise.

It really is a great cruise. Enjoy. :grin:

I also wanted to welcome you to Cruise Crazies. I haven't been on the ship you're scheduled on, but we have done an Inside Passage cruise before, and have another Alaskan cruise scheduled for next year (8/11/06).

In Juneau we did the whitewater rafting down the Mendenhall Glacier. If you're adventurous, take a regular raft. They dress you up in full gear...hip boots, raincoat, etc., "in case you fall in". (like you could actually swim while wearing all that stuff! LOL!). If you're not that adventurous, you can take the same excursion, but take the raft with the metal sides. It's a nice, easy-going trip down the rapids. Either way, I thought this excursion was the highlight of the cruise for us.

In Ketchikan my husband and son went deep-sea fishing for salmon. (my youngest son and I, who are not that great on small boats, went to see the totem poles) They each caught the three-fish limit and it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for them. You then take the fish to a little shop at the dock and they can that actual fish for you. We had the canned fish shipped back home and it was here before we came home. We had smoked salmon for a long time...gave a lot away as gifts, etc.

In Skagway we also did the White Pass Railroad...we also enjoyed that. The scenery was spectacular.

Again, nice to have you here!

Sue

Hi Bob & Debbie and welcome to CC! We spent the night in your city at the Holiday Inn a couple years ago on the way to Marco Island. It wasn't a Holiday Inn Express so we are far from being experts! alt text

We have also cruised Alaska and had a great time. There is a wide variety of excursions and you are getting some good advise from some of our members. We will be cruising on the Sun for New Years out of New Orleans (we hope). We will write a review of the ship, so as they say, stay tuned!

Welcome Bob & Debbie

We did the railway which we enjoyed and rafting. The water was cold when it splashed but that ended up being part of the fun. We took a side excursion in a van into the Yukon Territory which was beautiful. I think whatever you decide to do you will enjoy. I don't think anyone can see everything in one trip so it is a great excuse to go back. :smiley:

You can go on line and look up each town you are stopping at and you will get a good feel for where you are going. I found this to be quite helpful.

Enjoy the journey :smiley: