• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

How much do you bring to tip?

Rate this topic

cruisinmama

I was wondering how many $1.00 you bring for tips? or do you also bring other things to tip staff with.

I read someone always brings phone cards to give along with a tip for staff members at the end of a trip..

Since I have to pre-order USA money..I know..just silly...wondering if I brought 20-30 $$ in $ 1.00 bills would be enough..

when we took our last cruise we took 80.00 in ones...and tipped each person according to service..we also had the tips that were added on our sail and sign card..I love the idea about calling cards..never thought of that..would definitely help the staff on the ship...but 1 question..we took a calling card when we went to cozumel..tried to use it to call home check on the kids and our beloved dog...(she was pouting when she saw the suitcases beside the door) well we could not use the calling card to call home... it had to be one from Mexico?? dont know why?? anyways will the staff be able to use them??

Thanks,lilrosie... maybe I will up how much we take..I wasn't sure if that was too low or not..

I don't know anything about the calling cards....I wouldn't know what to get..and heck cash is always a best bet for any extra "Thanks" anyone would want... :wink:

Lilrosie, we were able to call home from Cozumel using our Costco phone card. There's a code on the back of the card that gives info for domestic calls or international calls. I don't know which card you used, but it should have had numbers/directions for each type of call. It was a pain, because there were so many numbers, but when we got through, we had a good connection. We used those cards on our Panama Canal trip too and were able to call home from Columbia, Panama City, etc. We also had kids and dogs we wanted to check on.

On one of the cruises we were on, we gave a phone card to one of the crew...I can't remember what job he had, but we had only used the card to call home and there were plenty of minutes left on it. He was thrilled with it.

Mama, are you talking about the gratuities for the waiter, busboy, steward, etc? Most times now the gratuities are already on your sail and sign card. If it's the ADDITIONAL tips you're talking about because you've gotten such great service, then we usually hand the steward or the waiter a $20 bill, or whatever we feel the service was worth, on top of the tips they already have.

I believe you should have $1.00-$2.00 per bag that the porters handle. We usually have one or two bags so we give an even $5.00. They will take the bags from you at the port. You may or may not see them when they deliver the bags to your room...so don't worry about that too much. You also won't see them when they pick up the bags the night before you get off the ship. You'll want tip money if you use any type of van or bus, going to or from the port. You'll also want tip money for any excursions you take that include a van or bus.

Sue

Sue

Mama, are you talking about the gratuities for the waiter, busboy, steward, etc? Most times now the gratuities are already on your sail and sign card. If it's the ADDITIONAL tips you're talking about because you've gotten such great service, then we usually hand the steward or the waiter a $20 bill, or whatever we feel the service was worth, on top of the tips they already have.

No more tips for bags or excursions for drivers....and yes waiters..

Think I'll plan a few more $1.00 as there will be 5 of us...

Thanks

We take 50 singles and 10 fives for a week. The bonus tips come out of our spending money, as they're usually $20-30.

Our Asst. DR Steward told me the best calling card for tips is "Hello Asia", but I looked for it in Key West, and couldn't find it. I found it online at http://www.pinonsale.com/Details.asp?Product=169

Candy <-- will get some for Zuidy #5 in November

Because many of the service personnel on a ship pool their tips, I usually buy small gifts and give them to the waiters, cabin attendants, etc; They like things like phone cards, cigarettes, even candy bars!

With cash, they usually put it all in a pool and split it.