• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What about the cruises scheduled

Rate this topic

JoeyandDavid

If in fact New Orleans, will be non operational for cruises for a while, what will the cruise industry do as far as a temporary port of departure. Will they move things between Galveston & Tampa will they just cancel cruises all together?

Any thoughts?

I just got off the phone with a Carnival representative and was told that, at this time, all cruises that were going to sail out of New Orleans will be sailing out of Galveston, TX. She said there was no guarantee but right now that's what they're doing.

I also asked her if they would cancel any cruises and she said it was highly unlikely because all September cruises are scheduled to sail from TX.

I don't know about any cruises beginning in October. I guess it'll depend on where New Orleans cleanup is at that time.

I also called United (our flight to LA) and was told that all bookings to LA right now are cancelled and there are no fees to re-book because of this. This is effective up to Sept. 10th at this time. They'll continue to monitor the airport and will extend the dates accordingly.

Carnival sailing out of TX goes to many of the same places as it would sailing out LA and any shore excursions you have booked for islands they aren't going to, will be refunded and you'll have an opportunity to re-book something else.

So - anyone sailing during the month of September out of New Orleans will, more than likely, be sailing out of Texas.

Hope this helps.

They are fortunate that the Conquest was already shceduled for a drydock. I feel bad for the people who drove to NOLA for that cruise and now their cars are sitting there, and they can't get to them. They haven't come out and said what the Conquest will be doing when it comes out of drydock. Likely they will go to Galveston since that will be an easier port to get people to than, say Mobile.

At least they seem to have more information now for near-term cruisers than they did in the days following 9-11. They were still telling us up to the morning of the 14th we were sailing from New York. Even when they finally told us about the move to Boston, they told me the port of calls were the same, just the home port was different. When I told them the ship was scheduled to call in Boston the day after sailing and "Surely the ship isn't going to set sail from Boston on Saturday, and call there Sunday, right" they said all ports were the same as scheduled LOL. Only when we boarded did we know the new schedule.

Our cruise is not until Dec 29, but we would be surprised if it still sails out of NOLA. We heard our precruise hotel was flooded to at least the first floor.

I would guess NCL would switch to Houston or Galveston, so we will probably be scrambling around for airfare.