• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guaranteed Oceanview

Rate this topic

bkworm

Ocean View stateroom is a nice way to start. This way you can see if at least you enjoy cruising.. No doubt you will.

I should warn you though. NEVER get a stateroom with a verandah or balcony.

Once you do nothing else will satisfy you!:)

First cruises are wonderful, the imagination will race with anticipation. The best thing I can Share with you, is relax and have fun!

Good luck with the planning!<]

Hi bkworm,

I have traveled guaranteed oceanview. I usually means one pays slightly less for an oceanview cabin near the lower part of the ship. This stateroom can be forward or at the stern. You are guaranteed an oceanview stateroom. However you can be upgraded to the upper part of the ship if it does not sell out. Usually the upgrade is within the same general category. That is, oceanview to oceanview stateroom or balcony to balcony.

I have moved from the Riviera Deck to the Empress Deck, about two levels higher.

To me, anyplace on the ship with an unobstructed oceanview is fine. I even settle for portholes most of the time because they are usually at the lower level of the ship, away from the public areas and much quieter. However a guaranteed oceanview stateroom can sometimes be less expensive than the porthole. You have to check each time you book. It's usually different each time.

You have to compare prices depending on the cruise and cruiseline. Your TA should be able to help you.

The other way you get to choose your on stateroom if it is available at the time of booking. If you get upgraded you may be lucky. However I hear some people are not satisfied with their upgrades after they've selected the cabin they wanted to be in.

Hi bkworm...welcome aboard!

I have had a guarantee room twice (balcony) and both times we were put in the bow of the ship (all the way forward). Some people would have a problem with this, (can be a bit more rocky in rough weather) but we were fine with it. The extra walking actually kept me from gaining weight on the cruise. lol The cabin itself was great and the room service was also. Hope you have a great cruise!!!

We have done this in the past and found it not to be a problem. If you go on the cruise with an adventerous spirit then you can overlook alot of little things that really don't matter anyway. We book inside cabins now to save money to go on more excursions. We don't spend much time in the cabin and feel like it is not worth getting a balcony. To each their own :smiley: but just go and have fun.

Hi bkworm

We've never travelled quarenteed but we usually get the lower part of the ship (Riveria on this trip) because it's cheaper and you don't have restaurants, bars, dance floors, etc. right above your head. We got portholes this time, which is fine with us.

Booking guarenteed room only means that that's the lowest level of rooms you'll be in. You might get upgraded to a higher level or you might not. It's a gamble.

After you've cruised a few more times (you do plan on cruising some more, right?) you'll get to know what level you don't want to be on and whether the stern or the forward part of the ship is better.

For your first cruise.......just relax and take it all in. You'll have a wonderful time and won't want to get off the ship.