• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tropical Storm Rita

Rate this topic

Tut

With Tropical Storm Rita likely turning into Hurricane Rita and heading for the Gulf Coast and possibly Texas, what happens to the cruise?

I understand if the weather is bad we won't be able to fly into Texas but we're leaving from Pittsburgh and changing planes in Chicago. Would they keep us in Chicago overnight and send us on our way the next morning? We're leaving the day before so we'd still have time to get there.

If Rita slows down and the ship can't leave port, what happens? Does anyone know?

We're never experienced this before so we're not sure what to expect. Anyone have any advice for us?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sue i would program your cruiselines phone number into speed dial.

I hope things work out.

But looking at this logically.. this is monday.. and the storm/hurricane is due to hit land (southern FL) sometime tuesday... you cruise Sunday.. I would "think you would be ok.. the port might not "look" pretty, but You should be able to get away!.

I feel for you .. The anguish must be terrible

Thanks for the encouragement Joey. I did call Carnival and was told it was too soon to tell right now, which I understand.

The person I spoke to said that if we can't make it by cruise time (we're flying) we might be able to fly to our first port.

Whichever way the storm is heading, they would head the opposite way. My biggest concern at this time is just getting there.

You can be sure I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Just keep an eye on carnival.com for storm updates. If the storm drags across the Gulf, they will either leave the current sailing out longer, and shorten yours, or end the current one early to get people out of the way, put the ship back to sea to ride out the storm, and come back to get you guys later when weather permits. Usually people make out OK with some sort of compensation in these situations.

Current projections show the storm coming right at Houston on Saturday, so I wouldn't expect to fly there that day. What airline are you flying on? You should also keep an eye on their website for any storm related info. I think it's more likely they will tell you to stay home if they aren't flying into Texas that day, instead of getting you in their system and having to look after you if you are stranded along the way. But, with hurricanes being how they are, Houston might be open for business again later in the day

Thanks everyone. I've got the airline (United) and the Carnival site bookmarked and I'm keeping my eye on it. According to the prediction this morning, if it stays on it's path, it'll hit Galveston about 2:00 am Saturday morning so if that's the case, we should be ok.

Not to take anything away from the poor people on the Gulf Coast. Sometimes we're shortsighted and think of our problems only. I really do hope it veers and doesn't hit land anywhere and I do pray for all those poor people. Ours would be an inconvenience but theirs would probably be life altering.