• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Snorkling

Rate this topic

JoeyandDavid

I have never been snorkeling, I figured this would be my best chance to do that.

Here inlays the problem, I don’t know "JACK" about snorkeling. plus I think the fish would scare me to death...(in some things I am, as our governor has been known to say, such a gurly man) but if I can convince myself that I am in not danger by "swimmin wit da fishes" I would love to see the beauty.

So who can explain to me what to expect, what type of equipment will i need .. is it best to own certain pieces (heath concerns using things that go in the mouth) how strenuous is snorkeling .. just any information would be great for this newbie

My husband and I tried snorkeling on our cruise last January. We had our own equipment that I had bought on clearance at a sporting goods store. It probably wasn't the best of fit, but for starting out, it worked for us. I'm sure there will be others who can give you better advice on that. My husband didn't want to take the fins ashore because they stuck out of our backpack. We later regretted that. We also didn't have vests and we have bought some now for our upcoming cruise. We also got a backpack designed for snorkel gear. We went to the park in Cozumel, but couldn't go very far from shore without the fins and vests. The fish were small and it was like swimming in an aquarium. We are doing Stingray City and the Coral Gardens next cruise and we are looking forward to it. We'll try Cozumel again too, but this time we'll take our fins ashore.

You can rent gear on the ship, I'm sure they must sanitize it. As far as how to do it, maybe someone with more experience can tell you better than I can. Just don't be afraid to try it, it's fun and don't forget an underwater camera!

Sewut

I love to snorkel and drive down to Key Largo often.

alt text

The only equipment you'll need is a mask, snorkel and fins. You can get a decent set-up for under $50.00. If you need glasses, you can get prescription lenses, for the mask, at a dive shop, for about $35-$40 per lens.

Some cruise lines require a vest if you snorkel at their private island, but will rent you one for $5.00. They cost about $40.00, so it's worth it.

I have one, and find it useful.

As far as 'swimmin' wit da fishes,' it is fantastic. The schools of fish; the lobsters, crabs and starfish; the coral formations; all are breathtaking. There's nothings like joining a school of 100-200 Blue Tangs, and swimming along with them.

Just don't wear anything shiny (jewelry; watch; etc) and you'll be fine. The fish don't even know you're there.

:cool: :cool: Joey , I snorkeled in the Caribbean the last 2 years and it was great. The 1st time it took me about 10 minutes to relax and breathe correctly. Once I stuck my face in the water and saw the reef and the beautiful fish I was fine. It would probably be a good idea to get some equipment and practice in a pool. :cool: :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

If you can swim, you can snorkel! You miss so much if you only see what is above the water. Do Not hesitate to try it. You will become addicted. I like to snorkel in the Pacific islands more than the Atlantic islands, but almost anywhere is okay with me. It's easy. The fish are more scared of you than you are of them!

Love, Elena :wink: