• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Panama Canal

Rate this topic

LifeIsCruising

Looking to go all the way through, or partial round trip? We were about 3 hours from approaching Gatun locks, to getting up to Gatun Lake. Then we sat there for a while, as they offloaded some shore excursions, then were another couple hours going back down. I think the full Atlantic-Pacific (or reverse) transit is something like 8 or 9 hours.

I wasn't bored, but I can see how some people could get that way in a hurry. Definitely a lot fewer people out on deck for the trip back down the locks. But, it also gets hot thee, and you burn really quickly, so this chased alot of people indoors for the afternoon. I love watching the details of how the thing works, so I was back and forth across the ship checking out the "mules", the locks themselves, and any ships in the other channel.

Definitely an older crowd, as are most longer cruises, but I wouldn't say it was all old people.

We did the canal cruise in early Dec. of 2003. I would say that because it's a longer cruise (full transit- 14 days) you do get an older crowd. And-- because we went before the Christmas holidays and before school let out for most-- definately an older crowd. I felt sorry for the few kids onboard because they were few and far betwen. We were told that the next week (Christmas week) they were expecting 600 children....so you need to think about what your preference for shipmates is.

We thought it was a great experience. The amazing engineering of the canal and the history were most important to us. The book "Path Between the Seas" -- although not an easy read-- will really help you appreciate the sacrifices made by many to make the canal a reality. At least it did for me.

In my own opinion-- I don't know that you can fully appreciate the experience going on a Florida round-trip versus a San Diego or LA to (or reverse) itin. There is something about going up the locks -- then down-- that really is an experience. Wtih that said- if you can't do the full transit, a partial is better than none. However if you can, please take the time to read the history of that monumental enginneering genius-- considering all the challenges...it's amazing.