• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The beauty of Alaska, what next...

Rate this topic

jblech

Well, you probably started with one of the best places, but we also enjoyed our Panama Canal cruise. Going through the locks was quite an experience...it took 8 hours just for that. I have a picture album that is filled to the gills. Also, part of that trip was Costa Rica, which was beautiful, and Cartegena Columbia was super-interesting.

I know there are many other interesting places, but I think the panama Canal cruise was my second favorite (after Alaska).

Sue

Our Alaska cruise was our best so far, but it is a different from other cruises. For most cruises, the ship is the destination. For an Alaskan cruise, this is not true. Alaska is definately the destination. Sea days on non-Alaskan cruises are much different than in Alaska. Watching the ocean go by is a great relaxation. Watching the scenery go by in Alaska is constantly awe-inspiring.

I haven't been on a Panama Canal cruise, but I can see how that would also be great. We will do that in the future. I can't tell you what would be the next best cruise for you, but we pick an itinerary with lots of sea days, just for the relaxing power of the sea. Good luck. :grin:

jblech - I echo the "Welcome" to cruise crazies!

We are planning on Alaska for our "cruise after the next one". The thought of sailing from "home" is rather nice. Flying is a hassle in so many ways.

Have any of you "seasoned Alaska cruisers" found the experience to be different in other ways. I have heard it is more laid back or casual than other cruises. And , most likely - I won't need to pack the "dreaded" bathing suit lol.

ttfn Jennifer

We were on the Alaskan cruise in a July, Jennifer...and there was absolutely no one in the pool. A few days they didn't even fill the pool, and the temps were in the 70's. I thought that was somewhat surprising. While I don't go in a pool unless it's 90 degrees out, you'd think there would have been some people who wanted to.

Another interesting thing, although I'm sure this could happen on any cruise...we met people we somewhat knew on the cruise, out of the blue. My son was about 15 years old at the time and was wearing a baseball hat from his varsity high school team. A guy about 19 or so stopped him and asked if the hat he was wearing was from Westlake High School. This was far, far away from home in so. California. Yep. The guy said he used to play on that team, and gave us his name. We had never met him, but we knew about him....AND, he knew my son's name too! Small world, huh?