• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

new cruiser jitters

Rate this topic

lindyf

I have been a member to this board for some time but haven't posted much. I have 2 new grandbabies that keep me from getting into my cruise research lately. I am about 4 1/2 weeks away from cruising to the eastern carribean and now I am getting nervous. My husband and I are going with 6 others. We have never cruised and neither has my 21yr. old son and his girlfriend. It is a 7 day cruise with three days in ports. Is 7 days too long for a first time? I am only 43, but I have a chronic condition which limits my energy level so I am<] planning accordingly. I noticed that others have said they filled out excursions and some documents. I wasn't aware that I could do that. My cruise docs won't be here until 3 weeks before the cruise. Is that normal too? The people we are going with are veterans and they make few plans, since they know they will be going again next year. I like to have plans when I vacation I don't want to get back on the ship and remember something I wish I would have done. Sorry this is going on and on but as I said, I am getting jittery. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

lindyf, It's great to see you posting. I 'm so tired and I'm going to call it a night but I just wanted to say hi. I will respond better tomorrow when I can think straight. Anyway, we're very glad that you decided to post. We have great members, as you know, and I'm sure you will get some great responses tomorrow.

Trust me i share the same feeling. Im also a soon to be cruiser and i can't wait to go... im sure everything will go well for you. I also agree on my fear of missing out on something... i don't wanna fit into the " could-woulda-shoulda" crowd either.

But im sure everything will go perfect on your cruise, and im sure the other experianced cruisers can give you some valuable info on what to expect, And the cruisers on this fourm helped curb my fears thus far, they are very kind and polite bunch.... im sure they'll be able to help you as much as they have helped me!!

talk to you soon!

SKOALboy!

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. If you tell us what ship you are going on and which ports you will be visiting, perhaps we can help you. The most important thing is to relax and enjoy every minute. If you are like most of us this will not be your last cruise!

lindyf,

Hi how are you .. A seven night cruise for us is a lot better than a shorter one.. with just 3 ports.. you should be able to do all you want and STILL have time to rest when you need to.. Relax, there are always activities for all levels of activity , I am sure you can find something that you all can enjoy together!

There's no reason to be jittery!

First of all, an overwhelming majority of you fellow-passengers will be first-time cruisers! They will now as much, or little, about cruising as you do.

In fact, because you have been active on this board, you will be better informed and prepared. The cruise lines work hard to attract new cruisers and make the experience very simple. Basically, come aboard and have a good time. Read the brohures they give you, especially the daily programs, and plan accordingly.

As far as filling out various docs, etc;, do what you want. Some people go online and fill out all their docs, including ordering shore excursions, months in advance. Others wait 'til they get to the dock to fill them out and order shore excursions once their onbaord. Your choice.

linyf,

We remember our first cruise in 1997 and we were a little nervous, as well. That's just being normal. As soon as you get on the ship you will be just fine. Our first was also 7 days and it seemed much to short. As far as filling out your forms--they are no big deal. When you get your docs let us know and we will do the doc dance for you. If you have any questions about filling them out we will all help you.

Just click on this link for the CruiseCrazies packing list:

http://www.cruisecrazies.com/packing_list.php

Also, welcome to CruiseCrazies SKOALboy. Glad to see you are posting. :smiley: :smiley:

I wouldn't be too concerned with Shore Excursions on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary....

You can do San Juan on your own. All of the sightas in Old San Juan are within walking distance of the ship. In addition, a free trolley will transport you all around town.

In St. Thomas you can do an island tour, going to Mountain Top, Magen's Bay, etc; either through the ship or a one of the many private bus tours available in Charlotte Amalie.

In Grand Cayman, you can either do an island tour (Turtle Farm, Hell, 7-Mile Beach), swim with the rays or take a submarine, or glass bottom boat, tour. These, too, xcan be arranged through the ship or once you get to the island.

lindyf,

I felt the same way that you do now on my anticipating my first cruise. The cuise docs and baggage tags do usually arrive about three to four weeks before sailing.

Seven days, I feel is ideal for a first cruise. If you like it, you'll have few more days to enjoy the experience. If you hate it, the few extra days won't kill you.

While you're waiting you may want to do some online research on the ports of call of your cruise to get a general idea about what to expect. Check your cruise line to see if they have some shore excursions that you can pre-purchase if you wish to do that. (I usually wait until I'm on board so that I can weigh all of the activities against the shore excursion.)

If you have a physical condition that limits strenuous activity, maybe you can take a tour of the area by motorcoach or taxi, if it's not too expensive. You may also decide that you enjoy the activities on the ship so much that you won't want to get off. You can even look for discount days for treatments at the spa.

Most of all, don't be afraid to enjoy this experience. You can do or not do what you please. It's your vacation.

If you don't want to miss anything, do your research before the sail date.

Hi Lindy!

Don't worry! Everything will fall into place. The others have given you good advice. I think a seven-day cruise is just perfect for a first cruise. The first couple of days you will be finding your way around, and the middle to last days are probably the ones you will enjoy the most. If you absolutely hate the cruise(very, very, unlikely)then seven days is not too long.

A cruise is a perfect vacation for people who have some limitations. You can take tours that are on an air-conditioned motor coach instead of walking if you wish, or you can just stay on the ship and relax. There are a lot of choices on a cruise vacation. I think you will love it!