• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

I thought pizza was always free.

Rate this topic

Mebert

I just received a beautiful color brochure from P & O Cruises that discribed two 7 day cruises from Singapore. One does the eastern side of Malaysia and Thailand and the other does the western side. There's also a combined 14 day cruise that does both the easten and the western sides.

I was enjoying the brochure until I saw the word pizzeria with a star next to it. Upon further examination I noticed the star stood for "Additional charges apply."

I guess that economic reasons are causing P & O to charge for pizzas. They should take a lesson from their Carnival cousins and provide the pizzas for free. They're great when you've missed meals and are up late at night and want something really quick.

I was really surprised at the extra charge for pizza.

Slowly but surely all of the cruise lines are taking away their "freebees" and adding charges for things we took for granted before. All part of the changing face of cruising and I'm sure it will continue til we all say 'ENOUGH' and hit them in their pocketbooks.

alt textalt text

I really wish they'd just raise the fares and drop all the extra onboard revenue schemes. In an effort to keep the fares down the cruise lines are all trying to figure out how to squeeze the passengers for the extra money.

I refuse to pay extra for meals (I don't do alternative restaurants!), ice cream, pizza, coffee, etc;

DaCruzNut,

I agree with you on their raising the fares slightly to to recoup the cost of the freebies.

I have done an alternative restaurant one time because I won it as a prize. It was such a great experience that I'm afraid I became a sucker for the bait and would gladly pay the $20 ti $30 to experience it again. However, I mostly like the fact that I don't have to keep pulling out my wallet for immediate needs on the ship.

As experienced cruisers we have to think of ways to consolidate our power as a group to keep the cruiselines in check.

When I used to sail NCL, before "freestyle," I used to eat in Le Bistro, their alternative restaurant. The difference was that the extra charge was a "suggested $5.00 gratuity for the waiter." The money didn't go to the cruise line, but to the waiter, bus boys, etc;

The problem with succumbing to paying extra for the alternative restaurants is that it encourages the cruise lines.

What they're telling you is, that for a little extra money, than can give you much better food and service than in the regular dining room. Gradually, they will lower the qualty of food and level of service in the main dining room to entice you into the alternative dining venues.

I still say charge more and give us better food and service included in the fare.

I agree with the charge more, but only moderately. Some cruise lines should remain a good vacation value for common folks like me. I can't afford the fares of the luxury lines yet.

Cruiselines may become like hospitals where they inflate prices to meet costs and then cruising won't be affordable for quite a few of us.

I realize that the cruiselines are running a business and are out to make money. That's their bottom line. So I'd like to see some balance when the fiscal decisions are made.

I sure would feel less nickeled and dimed if they increased the fares just to cover those little expenses, but sometimes some businesses overinflate increases for profit motives. I just hope that they would remain reasonable. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I like keeping my wallet in my pocket and would rather pay up front.

I have to admit. I would get my money's worth at any of the alternative dining areas. If they raised the price too much, I would really do some damage. :grin: :grin: :grin: