• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cozumel, in better times...

Rate this topic

DaCruzNut

While searching for something, I came across this site:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCruises.htm

I thought it would be a big help to anyone cruising to the island in the future, assuming Wilma doesn't destroy the island.

alt text

It starts with:

"We're not going to lie to you.

A lot of non-cruiseship tourists who come here sneer at "The Boat People" as they're known on some Cozumel message boards. Here's the stereotype: Cruisers travel in large packs. They never eat in town because they're afraid they'll get sick or their purse will be snatched.

And cruisers only purchase souvenirs, etc. from the shops listed on the hand-outs provided by their ship. Why? Because they believe the spiel the cruise director feeds them about it being "unsafe" to shop anywhere else in town.

That's the stereotype of the typical Cozumel cruise passenger. But it's a profile that obviously doesn't fit you because, here you are, digging deeper, doing the research necessary to plan something interesting and special for your day on the island.

You've probably already figured out that you'll save money and have a higher quality experience if you break away from the herd and go for a day that's tailored just to your group's needs and interests.

This section of the site is to help you do just that. We want you to have fun. But we must confess we have another motive: We want you to fall in love, come again, and next time spend your entire vacation on this beautiful, sweet little island. Because, as you'll discover for yourself if you follow the suggestions offered on these pages, there's a lot more to Cozumel than you can see and do in just one day.

But for your current trip, follow the instincts that brought you to this page and do it yourself! We're Americans living here full-time. And we can assure you that Cozumel is extraordinarily safe and filled with friendly, helpful people.

Whether you decide to explore totally on your own or book one of the intimate, private tours we've personally checked out and highly recommend, we can pretty well promise you that you'll have a grand time during your one day on the island.

And, as we are fond of saying in the south, "Ya'll Come Back Now! Hear?"

Here are some links to get you started planning your precious day on the island.

Other Cozumel Cruise Links You May Find Helpful

Background Info on Cozumel Island

Read about the topography and history of the island and more.

About Cozumel's City, San Miguel

A safe, interesting place to explore with great shopping, wonderful dining and friendly locals.

Getting Around the Island All by Your Lonesome

(Of course, you can do it!)

Tours We Trust

Great excursions where you'll receive very personalized treatment at a better price than if you book a ship tour.

Cozumel's Beaches

Different strokes for Different Folks

Off-the-Beaten Path Shopping

Our Favorites! Places where you can find something special. And usually at a better price than if you stick with the cruiseship "approved" list (read kicking back a percentage.)

The Art of Bargaining

Learn tips on how to do it -- and WHERE to do it.

How to Be More than Just Another Tourist:

Learn a little about the local customs and you'll be treated with equal courtesy in return.

Safety & Health on Cozumel Island

Don't believe what they tell you on the cruiseships!

Money Matters

ATM's, pesos vs. dollars, credit card purchases and more.

About Us

Who are the nuts that write this website, anyway?

The One Day on the Island Interactive Discussion Group

Read and Share stories and opinions about cruiser experiences on Cozumel"

DaCruzNut,

Thanks for the info. I definitely will check it out because inevitably, I'll end up in Cozumel again because it's on the itinerary of so many of the Western Caribbean cruises. I like the island and would like to find more to do there. It also precludes my having to take a boat to the mainland if I can find interesting things to do and places to go on the island.

Cozumel is one of my favorite ports.

I absolutely love Chankanaab Park, and the snorkeling there. The reef is gorgeous, and only about 100" offshore. Plus all the other things to do, in the park, like the arheological park, Maya museum and recreated Maya village; the botanical gardens; and all the rest.

My other two favorite ports, by the way, are St. Lucia and Jamaica (either Ochie or MoBay).

You can't describe it! When I went through Andrew, there was no was to try to explain to people what it's like....

The sound is likened to a train going by, puntuated by loud bangs and crashes; trees falling? roofs coming off? windows shatterng?...but, think of that sound in your head for six hours! Then there are the trees that snap like toothpicks and slam through the roof. Running from room to room....

Now, for poor Cozumel, multiply that by 4.......24 hours!