• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

cruise meds????

Rate this topic

Longwait

My wife has pretty bad motion illness. She can get sick walking down a street, and turn her head at the same time. She take's Bonine, and has never been sick on any of our cruises. We have been in some heavy seas, so it must be working. Enjoy the cruise. :wink:

Hi Longwait,

The ship's doctor or the pursers desk usually has dramamine that can help with seasickness or motion sickness. I've never used it myself so I can't swear by it.

I've also heard of cruisers using a band around the wrist or both wrists. I don't know what they're called, but some people swear by them.

Of course, if your husband has an existing illness that he is being treated for he should take his regular prescription in the original containers. I know you probably know this but I thought I would throw it in to make the message more complete.

Besides medication, I've heard some folks on the board write about trying to get to the lower part of the ship, midship which has less motion than the upper levels. This won't help if you're already booked on the upper part of the ship.

If this is your first cruise you might find that you had nothing to worry about at all because the ship will probably be so stable. You won't even think about motion sickness.

I have been on a large number of cruises, and usually never have a problem. However, I was on the Regal Empress, a small, older, ship with no stabilizers, in rough weather. I started to get a little queasy. I had heard that the seasick wrist bands worked great, with absolutely no side effects. And, you could drink! I bought a pair, put them on, and 1/2 hour later was ready for dinner! The seasickness went, and stayed, away. I have no idea how they work, but they do!

Another remedy is ginger. Plain old ginger root. You can get this in raw, powdered, dehydrated, candied, pill form, as a paste, in cookies, tea, Ginger Ale, well, you get the idea. Just like with the wrist bands, ginger can be added along with any of the other remedies without conflicting with them. There is no "prescribed dosage" on this stuff, as the possible usage may be varied. However if you read the inscription on the bottle of natural herbs, it mentions 2 tablets before. It has been found best to use 4 tablets the night before, then 2 more when you get up in the next morning, then 2 more as you board the boat, this seems to be effective on most people.

Rita uses the patch, as well. She has always been afraid of getting sea sick so she uses the patch just in case. I have only felt queasy one time on a ship, the old Westerdam in very rough waters. I took one of the chewable Dramamine like pills provided by HAL at the Pursers desk, and the feeling went away fairly fast.

p.s. Your "long wait" is almost over!