• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Pirates attack Cruise Ship

Rate this topic

cruisinmama

Now this is something I never thought of.. how scary :undecided:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/11/05...ates/index.html

On our CBC news..it read:

The president of the Miami-based Seabourn Cruise Line,

Most of the passengers were believed to be Australian, American and Canadian.

Here's a post from a passenger on board and a pic...

Hi guys

First and most important all the passengers are safe and only one crew member was slightly injured by a ricocheting bullet - but he stayed at his post.

You've read my interview with the Press Association so I won't tell the whole story again. I was interviewed live on Sky News and they have been showing some of my pictures. I have also been interviewed by a BBC radio station and ABC in New York.

I think while it was happening and I was taking pictures it wasn't real. It is only afterwards that we start to think what might have been.

The Captain and crew were great! We have just put our clocks forward so it is now 1am and I have been up since 5.30 and I didn't have time for lunch or dinner today. So I am feeling rather tired at the moment. Tomorrow we get to the Seychelles. Ath the moment, I don't known when we are disembarking or whether the safari will still go ahead. In some ways, I wouldn't mind the peace and quiet of a few days in the Seychelles.

Just read the Sky report above. I did not say the passengers were terrified. They were most definitely not.

I will leave you with just one picture for now.

alt text

There has been a steep rise in piracy this year along Somalia's nearly 2,000-mile coastline, with 15 violent incidents reported between March and August, compared with just two for all of 2004, according to the International Maritime Bureau, a division of the International Chamber of Commerce that tracks trends in piracy.

"There were at least three rocket-propelled grenades that hit the ship, one in a state room,'' Laird wrote. "We had no idea that this ship could move as fast as it did and (the captain) did his best to run down the pirates.''

In June, a U.N.-chartered ship carrying 935 tons of rice for Somali victims of the Asian tsunami was hijacked by pirates, who held crew members hostage for three months before releasing them.

Associated Press.