• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

clothes!!!...?

Rate this topic

lindyf

OK I don't remember who said 'pack half the clothes and twice the money' but I don't get it. Do I wear some of the clothes twice or send some to the cleaners or what. If so, do I tip the cleaners too? I am going for 7 days I am planning to take 14 outfits

with a couple of extra pieces just in case. Am I wrong? We have 2 formal nights and I am taking different clothes for the days and all the nights. I really don't want to overpack, I would like to have room for things I bring back.

Dear Lindy,

I always pack some neutral colored clothing so I can mix and match and wear clothing a couple of times but have it looking different. For example, I always take black slacks that I can wear a couple of times but with different tops. I do the same thing with a pair of white slacks. Right there , you're down to 2 formal outfits, plus 4 with the black and white slacks so you just need 1 more. That's how I do it for a 7 day cruise. For the day time, I just take 2-3 bathing suits with a couple of cover ups , shorts with a few tops and jogging pants to wear instead of the shorts in case it's cool. Believe me, LIndy, when we first started with our 7 day cruises , I packed everything I could fit but I never even wore half of it so this is what I do now.

I hope this helps a bit. :cool:

We still overpack when we cruise. We always promise ourselves that this time will be different, but it never happens that way. If we don't have to fly to our embarkation port, it makes it real easy to overpack. Unfortunately, our next cruise will be from New York, so there will be no reason again to overpack again.

Just remember that there is no rule against wearing something more than once. :grin:

I stopped overpacking when the rep at the airport put a big "heavy" tag on my luggage.

The other thing that helped was seeing that I didn't use everything that I packed, but I'm a man, we can get away with a lot. I'm not sure about the women.

I did make use of the onboard do-it-yourself laundry room at the end of the cruise because I had enougn mix and match outfits for my 7 and 12 day cruises.

I have observed women dressing up for the formal evenings and wearing more simple dresses or nice slacks for the other evenings.

• 1 month later...

I always over pack reguardless of where we are going. I try not too. I honestly do. But I just can not help myself. I wind up only wearing my favorite clothes even if it means I have to send them out to be cleaned.

Oh if you take more than one suitcase with you put as many as you can on the scale and they normally do not say anything. Or if they do move some things from one suitcase to another.

But remember ladies do not pack you special pjs on top!! I did this once and the guy opened my suitcase for a search. I was very embarrassed when it was opened and there was my brand new nightie for all to see. What can I say I had not seen my hubby in 6 weeks and wanted to surprise him. LOL You know I still had the tags on it when I came home.

Kim that is a whole suitcase for me. I mean you have to have matching shoes for every new outfit you have bought. LOL

Seriously though it is better to do what the red head has said. Has anyone been told he is the Red Headed Step Child???? :shocked:

On our last cruise in July, we went to the western Caribbean and Cozumel. When we got to the airport, they told me we'd have to pay because the suitcase was overweight. Hubby looked at me and said, "What the heck did you pack?"

Wait...I can fix this...I took out 8 bottles of water and we were under the normal weight.

Hey...we were going to Mexico! I don't travel without my own bottled water to Mexico.

My suggestion to you is to wear the same shoes for both formal nights. It's always the shoes that become a problem...the less shoes you bring, the better.

Bring one pair of sneakers, one pair of sandals/shower shoes, one pair for formal nights. That should do it.