• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Formal Dress on RCI VOS

Rate this topic

Lrice

Hi All:

I am taking my first cruise in two weeks on the VOS. I am interested in some additional informtion regarding the formal dress code. I have no intentions of dressing sloppy for these nights though I don't really want to spend $100 on a sport coat or even more for a suit when I don't really have a need for one. Is it acceptable to wear dress pants with a shirt and a tie? Even if I were wearing a suit I would take the coat off when I was eating anyway so why can't I just arrive minus the coat?

Any input is appreciated. For those who have experience with crusing - is it unusal to see people without a sport coat or suit and simply wearing shirt and tie?

Thanks

Larry

I know others will reply to your post, but here's my thought. On formal night you need to have some sort of jacket...either a suit, or a sports coat. My two sons were able to get away without wearing a jacket when they were kids...they just wore button shirts and ties, but if you want to eat in the dining room on formal night, an adult male needs a jacket.

My suggestion to you, if you don't want to buy a jacket or suit, is to either rent a tux while onboard for the one night, or dress however you like and skip eating in the dining room. Just eat the buffet that night. Keep in mind if you decide not to eat in the dining room, you'll miss either lobster or prime rib, or something like that.

Hey Lrice,

Welcome to Cruise Crazies.

I would personally feel out of place in a shirt and tie, however, if you feel comfortable in a shirt and tie among a sea of suits, tuxedos and gowns then go for it.

I would suggest you be prepared with a jacket or be prepared to rent a jacket just so you can put your comfort level at ease. It's also a way to enjoy the full cruise experience and participate with your fellow passengers.

You may not regularly need a jacket but you will need it for your next cruise. :grin: :grin:

Welcome aboard, Larry,

More and more you see people dressing down for the formal nights. Personally, my wife and I enjoy the chance to dress up, but that's just us. The cruise is yours, so you can do whatever you want. If you don't want to dress up, there is always the buffet dinner. If you don't mind, nobdy will really say anything to you if you do go to the dining room for dinner. Either way, you are bound to love your first cruise. It will only get better after that. :grin:

We just got home from RCI's Radiance. Our formal nights were good but not too formal for everyone. Some wore suits and ties and others wore shirts and ties. One night my husband wore a shirt and coat with no tie (AKA miami vice look) Do what you want we always feel like you are on vacation and shouldn't be forced to do anything. Just don't wear shorts as many frowned on this. Although they didn't ask the offender to leave.

Thanks for the replies - I'm not too worried about what others think though I plan on being respectful. IMO a shirt and tie is approriate attire but I just wanted to get an idea of what I should expect. These repsonses helped.

It is obvious that many folks enjoy to dress up for dinner but I'm sure there are an equal number that find it to be a hassel. Especially if the expectation is a full suit or tux. My only problem with this is that if I choose not to go to the formal dinner I don't get the Lobster or Prime Rib. If they provided a less formal area to get the same food then I have no problem with the formal dress code being strictly respected.

Thanks again - not much longer till the big day. Everyone at work is sick as a dog. I have a giant stack of disinfectant pads in my office! Nobody is touching my mouse, keyboard or phone without a thorough cleaning afterwards.

Hi, Larry, and welcome to CruiseCrazies!

The degree of formality of formal nights varies from line-to-line. It varies from Carnival, where 'dressing up' is the exception, to Princess and Celebrity, where most passengers comply with the formal dress code. Royal Caribbean passengers usually do dress up and if you don't wear a suit, or at least a sport jacket, you might feel a little self-conscious. Most passengers will be is tuxedos, dark suits, and gowns.

Hi Larry firstly WELCOME :grin:

I would just add to the replies that the first formal night (usually the one with the captains cocktail party) is always the really smart night & the second is slightly less formal so most people, in my experience, have dressed up on the first formal usually tux's/suits/jacket & pants and the second shirt & tie. You could see what it would be to rent just for the first formal night & you will be fine in Shirt & tie for the second but as long as you feel comfortable then that is all that should matter.

If it came to it you can always have a romantic night in your cabin with room service or go casual up with the buffet if you dont want to go to formal night but it is a great occassion & everyone looks lovely so would be a shame to miss. :wink: