• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Table Seating

Rate this topic

cruisinmama

Well, they do have only so many seats, and if they have a single cruiser, they have to put them somewhere. It may feel uncomfortable for the single person to sit with a family of 5, but I'm sure you will make that person feel welcome.

Wish I could answer that one for you but it's still a mystery to me. Since we are 4 we usually end up with a table for 8, usually another family. One Christmas there were 6 of us (like this year) and we ended up with a table for 12. Family of 4 and 2 grandparents. My kids still speak to their kids and we've tried to sail together again but no luck yet.

The diningroom is a great place to meet people if everyone is compatible. We usually request a table for two because one of us is slightly disabled and the other guest may be uncomfortable around him. We have always been accommodated.

I find that the maitre d' will make every effort possible to try to accommodate you. They try to earn that tip that's requested at the end of the cruise.

As far as how the assignments are made, I think it's either random or it's a big secret. :grin:

My girlfriend dreads sitting next to new people...she says the conversation always goes the same way...have you cruised before, how many cruises have you been on, which cruise lines have you been on, where have you been.

I love sitting at a large table and talking to all kinds of new people (on our last cruise we sat at the table with a couple from Trinidad who knew EVERYTHING<] about their country and OURS!<]...it was almost embarrassing what we didn't know!)

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to how they place people. We've sat at tables where we thought we'd have nothing in common with the others, and we've sat at tables where we were a family of 4, and so was the other family.

I think they just try to fill in wherever they can.

Ann,

We always request a large table through our Travel Agent and only had a problem once and we got quickly reassigned to a large table.

A few cruises back we took our twin 13 year old grandsons with us and the only other 13 year old boy on the ship and his parents were seated with us. Don't think that was a accident! The three of them had a fantastic time together and still e-mail back and forth.

I know that years ago they did try to match up people at the dinner table. On my first cruise, I was single and went with my mom and dad and some friends of theirs.

On that cruise, we had to see the maitre d' to get our table assignment. The maitre d' wouldn't let me sit with my folks and their friends. He said there wasn't enough room ????????? Anyway, what he did was seat me with a whole table of single gals, and the table was right next to my folks. I met a lot of nice gals that way and had a great time.

Once on the Norway, we had my, then, daughter of 13 with us, and we were seated with one other older couple. They were also from Minnesota.

I don't know if they try that hard anymore, but we have always requested a table for eight on our last so many cruises, and late seating, and we have always gotten it.