• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Table Seating

Rate this topic

cruisinmama

Talk about awkward moments- on our last cruise in September we were at a table for eight. Early on in the introductions we began to realize that the other six at the table were family and related to each other-- actually three sisters and their husbands. Apparently a fourth sister (yes, a large family- one brother who wasn't part of the group) cancelled at the last minute and we were "substituted" for them at the table I guess. I must admit I thought "oh, good grief.. we're going to be bombarded with Aunt Louise stories" or whatever.

Could not have been more wrong. Wonderful people, minimal family talk but lots of good conversation on other things. At the end of the week, they were calling me by the "missing sisters" name and wanted to know if we'd like to join in the drawing for family Christmas gift names (in jest of course). Turned out to be one of our best dining tables...so you just never can tell! They obviously went out of their way to make us comfortable and we so much appreciated it.

Our theory is get to the table with an open mind and it usually works out. Worse case-- do alternative dining, request a table change, whatever. Our experiences has been very positive. This last one was just a bit unique.... we truly felt very lucky with this group. The ladies were of Italian heritage, the husbands mostly Italian with a little of this and that- my DH's heritage is Lithuanian/Lebanese (find another one of those!) and I'm Irish/Welsh. They thought it was great to have a little more ethnicity brought into the family!

Disabled,

Well, I don't know how disabled one would be. We had a very nice gentleman at our table once and he had a mental problem because of a stroke, but he made fun of it and we did to. He actually became the life of the party trying to speak. His wife would interpret at times.

Everyone loved Jerry.

I don't think I would ever be put out by a so called disabled person.