• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Maybe a dumb question BUT I'll ask

Rate this topic

cruisinmama

it anyway, when you get to a Pier and someone takes your bags do we have to make sure they are with the Ship we are on, or can anyone take them porter wise???

and yes I will make sure our luggage tags are on.

we didn't have to worry about any of this last time as they picked us right up at the airport..

and it's 1-2 $ a bag tip right?

Thanks

Hi Ann,

I can't remember if the porter had the ships ID or a badge but I do remember that it was clear who would be sorting our bags out. We didn't have official tags as coming from the UK they didn't send any over so our porter went & got us some & re did them for us so we gave him $5 (we had 2 large cases)

LOL, yes it would be a good idea to make sure the person you hand your luggage over to is somehow affiliated with the port. It won't be cruise line personnel, it will be port personnel who deal with the luggage. They should have some form of identification on them. It's also good to tip them a couple bucks (I call it insurance LOL).

The Miami port was pretty spread out, as I recall. Jut make sure they leave you off at the correct ship, and the porter will get it on the right ship. The ships are too far apart to make a mistake like that.

Hi Ann,

Back to your original question. The ships are usually berthed far enough apart that there is no question about getting the "correct" porter for your ship. All should be wearing ID and we have always found a lot of them around so it would be tough for a "bogus" porter type to operate in these areas.

Porters will check your bag tags and confirm your ship, so no problems.

Yes, your tipping ideas will fit right in with the norm. We usually have three bags to check and I give the porter $5, as someone else said, just for insurance.

45 cruises to date and have never lost a bag! Now, I've probably jinxed myself!

Have a great cruise and keep those questions coming.