• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Nov 5,06 Freedom Cruise

Rate this topic

kruz

Hi Everybody. Hope you are all well, it sounds like it.

It looks like maybe the site will let me post today. I feel like a kid who is watching thru the windows while the other kids have fun!!! I have only been able to access a couple of the boards I usually post at, this ol' dialup sucks!!

Can you all believe that it is only 9 months from tomorrow that we all finally are aboard the Freedom together? Wow. I found the ol' original thread in November 04, and I think some of you guys, (Joe, Karen, Chris Ernie, Term and Tye for sure) had been talking about this ship for a long time before I found you.

Hard to believe.

Well, it is cold as heck here, 8 degrees and everything is frozen. I don't want to go outside, but guess I have too. Hope this posts, stay safe everyone.

Ciao, Bunti

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royal Caribbean orders a giant cruise vessel from Aker Yards

Royal Caribbean International orders a new generation cruise vessel from Aker Yards.

The contract price being approximately EUR 900 million, this is the most valuable ship ever ordered in the history of commercial shipbuilding.

The 220,000 GRT ship, a prototype developed under Project Genesis, will be delivered from Aker Yards, Finland in autumn 2009. The order means 5,800 man years of work for the yard.

The contract includes an option for a similar vessel.

"After developing so many generations of cruise ships together over the 35 years of our partnership with RCCL we are excited about jumping so far out in front of cruise-ship design with this highly innovative and exciting new ship" says Yrjö Julin, President responsible for Aker Yards Cruise & Ferries business area. "Working together we will create an unparalleled experience for the next generation of cruisers."

"It is exhilarating to take such a giant step into the future", said Royal Caribbean Chairman and CEO Richard Fain. "Project Genesis truly is a remarkable ship. Its bold design, daring innovation and technological advancements will delight our existing customers and help us draw in new ones". He also said Royal Caribbean to be fortunate to have such gifted collaborators as Aker Yards.

Taking a huge leap of 43 per cent in size from the new record breaking "Freedom of the Seas" to be delivered for Royal Caribbean from Aker Yards in April, the new giant of the cruise market will be 360 meters long, 47 meters wide, 65 m high above waterline and accommodate 5,400 passengers.

The previous deliveries from Aker Yards to Royal Caribbean include eleven newbuildings, and there are three more in the present orderbook, the world's largest cruise vessels in the Freedom class, to be delivered in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Consisting of 18 newbuildings, the total value of the order book of Aker Yards in Finland is some 4.3 billion euro after this contract.

The contract is subject to final confirmation of buyers financing.