• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tip the Maitre de to get a table???

Rate this topic

Qmadam

We are going on B2B cruises to celebrate our 35th Anniversary. We actually still like each other's company after all these years and are requesting a table for two. Also hoping to get a table in a specific location and wondering about the possiblity of keeping that table for both weeks. Now, my question is; when we go to ask the Maitre de do we tip him before we ask, after we ask, not at all, and if so or how much would you tip????

Have never made a special request before. We have always been perfectly happy with all of our past cruises. We just thought we'd check this out...

Qmadam, how do you know you wont be givin a table for two in the first place...if your concerned, When you board which ever vessel you are cruising make a B line to the Matre D.. they are always set up and ready... ask if they can change if you are not already assigned a duce, if he hesitates slip him what ever you think ($10 usd)and say well we sure would appricate it and be sure to throw in the line "you know this is our 35th anniversary Cruise", plus the fact your back to back.. do you have the same cabin for both itinteraries?

I would imagine you are already been given a table for two....ask your TA to inquiry for you!

Good luck.. and Congratulations on 35 years.. when are you sailing?

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks JoeyandDavid for the congrats. We did request that table for two last winter when we booked so your probably correct that we have it, especially as we are Captains Club members. We were thinking about the keeping it for two week thing though, but yes we do have the same cabin for both weeks, so again, your probably right. You know how well you get to know your servers, would like to stay with them, but then again if we changed tables I know we would enjoy the new servers just as much.

We are cruising February 4th out of San Juan on the Constellation and the one thing I know is that we will have a GREAT time. Once I'm on the ship it's all good!!! We have cruised on the Millenium and the Summit so we are sure we will love the ship. In five cruises never had a complaint (or at least not one that was a big deal)! The cruise is our destination in itself. Looking forward to the spa things and the relaxing thing. Have been wanting to read the latest Harry Potter book and now I'll have time.

Sorry to go on so... I'm getting excited!

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious to know who this all works out for you. I am sure they will do everything they can to make your dreams come true.

But are you sure you want to have a table for 2? I mean I know after 35 years you still are enjoying one another but would it not be great to have company or at least for the second leg of your cruise. I would get lonely with us Jeff and myself at a table. Plus I find you normally have a much better time if you are at a large table. The interaction seems to help your servers to give you better treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I always get a table for 2. She is in sales in banking and I am in sales. We have 2 teens at home. We seldom get just time for the two of us except when we are on cruise. I can enjoy a large table, but we have in that past been at tables with some real turkeys, and I didn't know back then that I could request a change of tables after the first night or two.