• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Update from Port of Miami

Rate this topic

Jason

Just saw on the 12pm news that all 3 ships are still stranded in the Port of Miami, and there's no word yet on when they will be permitted to depart, as the port is still shut down to all ship traffic. They were supposed to set sail late yesterday afternoon.

The Majesty of the Seas, a Royal Carib. ship, is allowing passengers to disembark the ship, but passengers must return to the ship by 5PM today. There's also no word on whether or not passengers on all 3 ships will be receiving partial refunds from the cruise lines. Pictures do show passengers trying to make the best of the situation....tanning on the upper decks, the pools filled with cruisers, etc.

Stay tuned for updates.

I always say to my travel agent, just put me on a cruise, I don't care if it ever leaves port.

But, in reality, you've paid for a cruise, and stopping in different ports and doing the excursions is a BIG part of having fun on a cruise for me. As nice as Miami may be, getting stuck there is not a vacation, when you expect something more.

I'm sure the cruise lines will have to offer some sort of refund, which is really too bad, because this situation is not of their doing.

NYCruiser,

That's what I think about myself but I'll have to test it. It has never happened that I arrived in a port and was stuck in that home port because of some mishap. It would truly test how much I loved the ship.

The entertainment staff usually makes the best of a bad situation though.

JUST TAKEN FROM MIAMIHERALD.COM:

The Port of Miami reopened about 6:30 p.m., and three cruise ships set sail for the Caribbean this evening.

The Fascination, which originally was slated to visit Key West and Mexico, will operate a modified itinerary to Freeport and Nassau in the Bahamas, returning Friday. The Imagination, originally headed for the Bahamas and Jamaica, will visit Key West and Calica, Mexico, returning Saturday. Voyages aboard both ships will be shortened by a day.

Miami-based Carnival Cruise Lines said it will compensate passengers with a $100 credit toward spending on board the ships, or a full refund for those who decide to get off in Miami before they leave.

Royal Caribbean also offered passengers the $100 vouchers or full refunds. The Majesty of the Seas will still visit CocoCay in the Bahamas and Key West, but it no longer will stop at Nassau. It returns Friday.