• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Costa Not Impressed

Rate this topic

shipahoy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmemichele had a review of her sailing on Costa Atlantica almost one year ago. If she's reading this thread maybe she can shed some light on her ship experience. Her review was basically positive regarding the cruise but nightmarish regarding the cruise line arranged flight.

Did Costa send you a refund for meals you purchased on land because you missed your flight.

mmemichele, if you're reading this please chime in.

Interesting comments. I've never sailed Costa, but my brother sailed them on a B2B, trans Atlantic and then the Caribbean. His comment, besides the poor food and service, was that the daily tip charge|(room service and dining room) for the trans Atlantic portion was $5.50 and as soon as they were in the Caribbean it was $10. Makes you think.

I was surprised when sailing years ago on Melody MSC Line and both Costa last month how cheap the tipping policy was. Costa"s guide line was only $5.50 per day posted on account. I like the convience of tipping on the onboard accounts. since some people refuse to tip at all, soo cheap.

I still like the grace of formal night and the envelopes on the last night. I feel some times the staff gos the extra mile in some cases, when the paycheck is not automatically posted. I could not beleive after leting children sail for only port charges on the last Costa cruise, people were on line fighting not to pay tips for the children sharing the cabin. Children or adults they ate and had cabin service, really cheap if I must say so.

shipahoy@bellsouth.net

shipahoy,

Regarding the tipping policy for accompanying children, I couldn't agree with you more. One does not usually have to pay full fare for them and in some cases are the cause of wear and tear on the ship. The crew gives them just as much service in many cases through their parents and deserve some sort of tip for that service.

Of couse one has to determine if the tip is deserved based on the type of service that was received, poor service equals poor tip.

Fortunately, I have never had to ask for the tip to be adjusted. I've always felt so guilty that I couldn't give larger extra tips for all of the fine service I've received. I heard one women comment that she needed envelops for her extra tips because she was so ashamed at the small extra amount she had to give.

The crew always seems very appreciative to receive anything extra.

Based on what you said about Costa, I don't know how much extra the crew would have received.