• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Port Canaveral ???

Rate this topic

cruisinmama

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem is that the port is about 2 hours from orlando Int'l Airport. Think about that at the end of your cruise... You get off the ship nice a relaxed, after a week of cruising, and have toface a 2 hour ride to the airport and another 2 hours +/- at the airport......

I don't know if it's worth it. But, then again, I'm spoiled! I live about 1/2 from Port Everglades and an hour from the port of Miami.

The airport is only 45 minutes away, I have sailed out of there three times now, I pick it because its one of the few ports I can get a direct flight into, I have always arranged my own transportation though, not the cruise ship buses, makes it a lot easier and nicer and on all three sailings I had an 11:00 flight time and made it every time and once we came in late.

Ann - we got the cruise lines shuttle from Orlando to Port Canaveral and I think it was less than an hour.

After the cruise we stayed on in Orlando for four days. We booked a rental car and they picked us up at the cruise terminal and we dropped it off at the airport on the last day. Orlando has so much to see - you won't want to miss is - Universal Studios was great - much different from the one in Calfornia. And we drove down to Tampa (about an hour) to Busch Gardens - that was absolutely amazing - I would go back again any time. We also did a swamp tour on a gator boat. On the road from Port Canaveral to Orlando we stopped at a little place called Fort Christmas - a real fort with some great old buildings that have been preserved. It was a really pretty spot and I got to pick oranges right off the tree. Great trip all in all!

My little boy and I have sailed on Disney out of Port Canaveral 3 times, and it is a breeze. It is 40 minutes from MCO to the port -- not two hours. We always fly in the day before (which you should always do anyway if you're not driving to the port,) rent a car one-way at the airport, take the really nice drive down to Port Canaveral, and goof off at Ron Jon's and pick up some snacks and sodas for the cruise.

We spend the night at the *gorgeous* Radisson Resort at the Port.

It is soooooo nice to start a vacation by lounging around their incredible, huge, natural rock pool complex, and board the ship the next morning all relaxed and refreshed.

Port Canaveral is an easy port to sail from, and getting there is just as easy. Don't let 40 minutes scare you off. :)

-gina-

I would agree with the folks who enjoy leaving from Port Canaveral. Easy access, only an hour or less from the port to the Orlando airport.

Have stayed in the Radisson, Courtyard, and the Best Western. All three had their pluses and minuses. Radisson is goregeous and has a great cruise special. They are the only hotel truly in Port Canaveral, the rest are a couple of miles down the road in Cocoa Beach. Best Western is right on the beach and near the boardwalk, but a little older. Right next to about 10 terrific restaurants, and a short walk to shopping. Courtyard was lovely too, but we came in late at night and left early the next morning, so can't say much more than that it looked great, was clean and comfy. We will go again, I am sure.