• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Carnival?

Rate this topic

Ok, we have only sailed w/RCI, just what we ended up picking..

Now I am leary of Carnival, I know I shouldn't be as I have never tried them...I see many of you Crazies do go on Carnival..

We`saw one that interests us, Carnuval Glory..anyone been on it? have any thoughts? If you were us would you sail on this ship?

Any other ideas would be great,

Thanks

Ann-

You don't get to be the #1 cruise line in the world, and buy up all your competition (Princess, HAL, Costa, etc; etc; all owned by carnival!) if you don't deliver a good product.

Over the years, Carnival has worked very hard to erase the "Animal House" reputation it gained in the early days of cruising. It now attracts mostly families, and older people. Yet they still live up to their reputation as "fun ships."

Years ago, the food was mediocre, at best. there was lots of it, and the presentation magnificent, but the quality wasn't all that good. This is the area where they have made the greatest strides. In fact, I would rate them #3 in the market. Celebrity is #1, followed, very closely, by Princess. Way, way ahead of Royal Caribbean.

Finally, the entertainment. This is where Carnival always did, and still does, shine. The production shows are superb and the various club acts around the ship are excellent.

The ships tend to be a little "busier" than others; and the bar waiters around the pool a little more pushy ant the photographers in your face a little more, but onboard revenue is important when you're offering low fares.

I find that there are people who love one cruise line only and will look at another one in a different view. I have sailed both cruise lines and had a great time on both of them. I can tell you my own personal reasons why I prefer RCCL, not to say I wont go on carnival again, but these things tend to make me lean towards them when picking a cruise.

First after 5 carnival cruise, no discounts were ever offered, only those member cruises. Rccl upgraded me early and after the freedom I will be a diamond member, which means $200 off a balcony whenever I book (right now as a platinum I get $100), plus if you book a sailing with a coupon you can save almost $400, that is one of the main reasons I end up with them because I save money.

Smaller reasons are, I love that RCCL leaves their pools and hot tubs open all the time, carnival closes them so early, I cant tell you how many nights we have gone up on deck and enjoyed them. I also love the adult only section of the ship, especially the pools, nothing against kids, but sometimes I just dont feel like being splashed all the time. I also like the way the pools are set up, you have to climb down into them on carnival, I love that ledge all the way around the pools to sit on, its great.

None of them would stop me from sailing carnival though, I loved every cruise I had with them and enjoyed all of them, but the money I save with RCCL always seems to lead me back lately (and I love those voyager class ships, cant wait to see the freedom)

We've sailed on both Carnival and RCL quite a few times. Carnival has changed quite a bit since the first time we cruised with them. We think their food is excellent now. I haven't been on Celebrity, but yes, I think Princess rates first for me, then Carnival probably second.

Like Jeff says, the entertainment is very good. I don't spend any time IN the pool, once in awhile we go in the jacuzzi, so it doesn't matter to me that much whether they remain open or not. The photographers you can wave off, along with the bar waiters around the pool.

We are going on another Carnival cruise in March, and then an RCL in August. We almost expect the RCL will be a little 'stuffier', and we'll do a lot more relaxing, with the Carnival being more fun.

The Glory was our first time - and it was wonderful. Our next one is on her sister ship - the Conquest. This will be our third Carnival Cruise. We did a Princess ans liked Carnival better. Carnival is more "fun" to use their own advertising slogan :grin:

We are in our 50's (me farther in than him lol) and we don't go to the bars or the pool, but the entertainment is great and the music around the ship is also very upbeat. We found Princess to be rather "stodgy" - a more sedate crowd.

We found Carnival to be very well run and the staff were great - easy to talk to. We had no complaints so can't tell you if they are handled well or not - any time we had any questions they were answered immediately.

Are you thinking eastern or western on the Glory - we did Western - went to Key West, Cozumel, Progreso and Belize and enjoyed them all - but, again we are very easy to lplease and tend to just go with the flow.

Anything else just ask away. Now that I sort of know what I am doing I will get around to posting the photos from the Glory soon.

ttfn Jennifer

:cool: Like the others I have no problems with Carnival. We took the Destiny to the Carib. two yrs. ago and liked it alot though we thought the Sapphire Princess was a bit better. I would cruise Carnival again w/o hesitation. In particular the food was terrific and they worked hard to make Indian food for my wife who is Indian and requested it on our 1st night onboard. And it was quite good! Princess did the same. Unfortunately reputation can linger long past the time changes were made to improve services. My only advise would be to stick with the newer Carnival ships. Bon Voyage! Larry :cool:

This April will be our third time sailing Carnival and it is wonderful. We sailed the Glory last September and all I can say is she is a beautiful ship, the food was great, the entertainment was entertaining lol and all around we have a great time and can't wait to sail Carnival again............I found the staff and food excellent. Ken and I are very easy going and go with the flow so we really never have any problems............April we are sailing the Legend with Chris and his group...........

Hi Ann,

I have only sailed on the Miracle & visited 2 x HAL ships so cannot really compare lots of different ships, one of my colleagues, however, has worked for both RCCL & CCL and has stated that RCCL were a tad more refined but that Carnival do seem to be doing their upmost to upgrade the "feel" of the quality on board for example by removing adverts for things onboard from around the ship & taking away the tables from in front of the shops which have, previously, made the shop areas look a little clutterred or messy.

I can agree that the food on the Miracle was well presented and of a very good quality and had a really good experience overall. I think you would probably enjoy Carnival if you enjoyed RCCL however if your a Cunard/Silver Seas fan I dont think it would be for you haha. :grin:

Karen