• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

"Don't let the Bedbugs bite"

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

We are kind of reluctant to post this, but on our cruise on the Sun, we apparently had those little critters. The both of us were bit a few times by something. We didn't realize what had bitten us until after we got home and did a little research. Apparently it's not that uncommon. The effects are minimal as they make a little welt and itch a little and then disappear. In our research we found that they are making somewhat of a come back. Isn't that great news! If you are interested in these little buggers just read this University of Kentucky website which has done some in-depth research on the subject: Bed Begs

We even found this troubling story while doing the research:

Bed Bugs on a cruise ship

After reading the research it sounds like it could happen anywhere. I am a camper from way back and have been bit by worse (chiggers), so it didn't bother me that much. Rita thought it was totally disgusting and gross. She was only bit a couple times and I told her I must be sweeter or something. The effects went away fairly quick. We did not get bit every night, just random bites! We probably have other reasons not to cruise NCL again not related to the bugs. If we didn't, Rita, I am fairly sure, would not want to cruise them again because of the bites.

Is there some type of spray you can dose the bed with to help kill them critters? I know a few years ago they had something you could buy and I am not sure if that is still out there.

These bugs are in the mattress, right? Not in the sheets?

In December of 2004 while onboard the Infinity to Hawaii, we heard about a couple of cabins that had this problem, but no one in our group of three couples had the problem and it did not sound like it was widespred.

My only complaint about our cruise on NCL Sky was that the bed was like a rock! Friend said "don't know if I'm sleeping on a bed or a slab."

Selena,

Reading the U of K site would leave one to believe that once they infest a mattress the simplest way to get rid of them is to get rid of the mattress. Of course you could spotlight 'em and shoot 'em. :grin: :grin:

Keith and Rita...I've read some of the stories about the bed bugs on cruises. They are supposed to be making a comeback in hotels, too.

Skipper...that is interesting what you say about the Infinity. As you know I was on that cruise, too. One day I scratched at something on my neck, and my whole neck swelled up. I thought that maybe a spider had bitten me. My neck was a mess! I should have gone to the doctor, but I thought that he would charge me an arm and a leg, so I waited to see if it would go down on it's own.

I put some calamine lotion on it to keep from scratching, and in about 3 days it went way down, and it just left a bump. It wasn't until I got home when I had remembered about reading about bed bugs on some of the cruise ships...Carnival and NCL. I had to go to formal night with my neck looking like a mess. Next time...I'm looking under the mattress and behind the bed. LOL Sorry you had to go through that Keith and Rita. I sure hope that they can get this under control or I sure won't want to be sleeping away from home anymore. LOL

I was attacked by bed bugs in my youth. For some reason my mattress was the only mattress that had them. Could it have been me? My folks got rid of the mattress when they discovered I was suffering from itching and bumps. I haven't seen bed bugs since and never thought of them until I started hearing stories about bed bugs in hotels and on cruise ships.

I'm sorry you had to experience those bites. It's no joke. I remember. This would be a great opportunity for a chemist to invent something to wipe out those little critters.