• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tipping Made Simple- New tipping system introduced

Rate this topic

Jason

HIGLEY, Ariz., Feb. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Grat-Z, a provider of gratuity stationery, announces its revolutionary new product, the Grat-Pack©. The Grat-Pack was created to make the tipping process easier and more discreet with its all-inclusive system - the first of its kind to ever hit the market.

"Many times, while my husband and I traveled, we found ourselves scrambling at the end of a cruise or tour in search of an envelope for the gratuities we wanted to offer. We didn't want to just hand over currency in public, or use the hotel or cruise line's own envelopes - we wanted something more personal and convenient. That's when I came up with the idea to create a gratuity system," explained Lorice Sherman, Grat-Z President and creator of Grat-Pack.

For only $10 retail, each patent-designed Grat-Pack features twelve envelopes, a personal record keeping section and useful tipping guidelines for a handy reference while traveling. At only 5 x 7 inches, the pack fits well into a purse, carry-on bag or a suitcase. A Grat-Pack enables simplified tipping of service staff such as tour directors, tour bus drivers, stateroom attendants, butlers, maitre d', concierges and more.

"A Grat-Pack is like a checkbook - when you require an envelope, fill out the top portion for your own documentation, tear off the corresponding envelope, insert your cash gratuity, seal and deliver," explained Sherman (product photograph available at http://www.grat-z.com).

Grat-Packs are ideal for new and seasoned travelers who wish to extend gratuities in a sophisticated yet personal manner.

Additionally, Grat-Packs make an excellent client gift from travel providers who wish to provide a useful travel tool, along with educating them in tipping etiquette. Wholesale prices are available upon request.

Jason your link isnt working properly!

I personally pre-plan for tip time, so I already have our personal stationary and write a few words to the staff member who was outstanding along with of course a few usd... I dont think we would be interested

Someone gave me a good idea once that I have been doing ever since. You know how on the last day of the cruise you can go down and get extra envelopes, well I go down and grab another set for my next cruise, then when before I leave I put all the appropriate tips in them, but I dont seal them in case I l really liked the job someone did and want to give them extra. This way my tips are all set before I leave and I dont have to worry about getting change at the end of the cruise.

Before my first cruise I asked many questions about tipping on this very board and I got immediate answers that took away from the mystic of tipping. Once I got the information it didn't seem complicated at all.

Carnival automatically charges for tips on their Sign and Sail card. However, If service is good or excellent we always get the envelopes and give a little more. I think I like the automatic tipping. One can always call the purser and adjust it if service was not up to par. Thank goodness I never had to do that.

I guess it's convenient for some people to have a tipping kit. I just don't see where it's all that complicated and at $10.

I liked the auto-tipping on Princess. Funny how previously, these people would show up in the dining room the last couple nights, just to make sure we knew who they were so we could tip them the last night.

One thing I've seen people mention on various boards is they prefer the personal touch, by handing the tips over and thanking the staffer personally. Honestly though, I don't think the waiter or steward cares all that much about the personal touch. I mean, they all do so good at making us feel special, but they deal with so many people as the weeks drag on, that I don't think that it really matters to them. We all thank them anyway, but handing that envelope over actually makes things a pain for them. That money isn't all theirs, and now they have to go and submit it to wherever for it to be divided amongst the other crew members who get a cut. If they lose it, they will likely be accused of trying to keep it to themselves.

I bet if there were stats released, the highest crime night in the crew areas was the night all the tips were handed out. Out of a thousand or so crew members, there are bound to be a couple bad apples, and with tens of thousands of dollars in cash floating around amongst the various crew, well people are people LOL. Letting it all be done electronically is probably better for all concerned.