• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Are there guys wearing speedos & gals in thongs?

Rate this topic

gupta

I agree, I have been on three cruises and really never saw thongs or speedos on board, but many on the beaches. carnival has their topless deck, maybe that attire would be more appropriate there?

As a woman who is about 30 lbs overweight-I know I look at the other ladies that are cute in their nice tasteful suits & think "I wish I could look that cute" or "sexy" or whatever...but I am envious of them, however, if they are wearing a thong, I am too embarassed to look, let along think their swimwear is nice. Does that sound weird?

We hope you don't get the idea that we're a bunch of old fuddie duddies on this board. We're not. We range in age from teenagers to octogenarians, and some of us are quite outgoing. Many of us have been to European beaches, where a couple in Speedos and thongs would be wearing more clothing than most people. When we suggest not wearing those swim suits on U.S. ships, its based on our experiences as cruisers. There are limits on how much you want to stand out from the crowd.

In case you haven't noticed, Americans have more hangups about the human body than most nationalities, and scanty swimware is simply not worn on ships catering to people from the U.S.

I think all the Carnival ships have them Chris...at the very top, right by the smoke stack...there's a sign that says "Tops Optional" and you have to be 18, or maybe 21 years old...can't remember. And no cameras allowed.

Gupta - Welcome to Cruise Crazies - Ask away if you want any questions answered there is a wonderful bunch of knowledgeable & helpful people here.. :grin:

Re your question - There do seem to be alot of destinations here in Europe that Thongs are a regular & daily occurance (bit cold here in England but never mind - not that I could get away with wearing one now!!). But I must say in my personal opinion that whenever I have been on holiday in Europe it tends to only be the Germans who wear Speedo's (& the odd Italian posers) and as their bellies hang over soo much you dont really see them :wink:

Bermuda or tailored shorts are far more classy and normal bikini's seem to be the "done thing" on cruises, as people have said Cruise holidays do tend to be family holidays & I think a tad more classy than some holidays that people would wear thongs/speedo's to..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who replied to my query. I am back from my cruise with my g/f, and managed to wear my speedos only a couple of times while my g/f wore it everyday!

There were about a dozen guys in speedos, while my g/f was the only in thongs. At the beaches, there were more guys in speedos, while my g/f was one of the few who went topless!

I really appreciate all the feedback; even though much came during the time I was there. The guys who did wear speedos did have good bodies. Too bad most America boys hide behind a yard of cloth when they have the bodies to flaunt.

Girls are just so relaxed in showing off their assets, and boys feel so intimidated by talk of nonsense from these girls (and perhaps other guys)!

My g/f and I enjoyed our cruise immensely!

She sported a string bikini (rather than a thong) on the ship, and went topless on the beaches , while I sported my speedos while on and off the ship. You're all correct about the no swim wear in the dinning areas, but a couple times I had to use the bathroom, and didn't bother wearing shorts over my speedos.

We received no comments from other cruisers, but we did notice quite a number of people snapping pictures of my g/f and I. BTW, the entire cruise went smoothly...no lost luggages, plenty of booze and just the right amount of sun, sand and water!!!!!!

Can't wait to go again...we're hooked!!!!!!!!!!