• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise ship fire

Rate this topic

That's a pretty interesting question. In the past people have been held responsible for starting forest fires and have been subject to paying for the cost. It would be a major deterrent if Princess sued the offending passenger for damages.

But then of course I'm sure there are many who believe that it must be Princess's fault, insufficient smoke detectors and no spinkler systems on the balconies.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome CS. No, my husband is pretty used to doing what I say alt text

Seriously, we've discussed it but figured the same as most people. Anything can happen anywhere and staying home because it might is losing a lot of memories of great times.

When do you plan on cruising? If it's in the distant future (like six months or more) he'll probably be a little more receptive. It's the same thing when there's a plane crash. No one wants to fly but a month or so later, it's pushed to the back of your mind and you're planning your next vacation. Don't give up. Keep plugging. You'll never regret going on your first cruise. It's the best feeling ever.

What a frightening tragedy. MSNBC's site has a first-hand account of the night from a reporter who was on board that cruise. It sounds as though Princess handled things pretty well.

I am curious to know how Princess knows a cigarette actually started the fire. Was there an eyewitness to the ignition? It seems to me that the balcony where the fire originated would have been one of the balconies that has completely melted away. Given the typical items/materials on a balcony, I think it would be very difficult for a cigarette to ignite a fire. Now, perhaps if there were a cabin pillow or some sort of clothing or towel the cigarette had fallen on and ignited...

BTW, this isn't some sort of smoker's defense or debate post...I am a nonsmoker who is just curious about how this sort of fire could have happened.

I read a report from a woman who was in the middle cabin in the row of cabins that were on fire. She was told by the woman who pulled the actual fire alarm and who was interviewed by police officials that they thought that it was possible that this was done on purpose. Someone may have thrown a moltov cocktail or poured liquor onto a balcony and threw a lit cigarette.

The fire was small and grew into an inferno in seconds. She and her husband were lucky to get out. They woke up around 3 AM to a wall of fire on the balcony. They lost everything. Thank heavens they didn't lose their lives. I heard other reports that the sprinklers weren't working properly, but that may have been because the fire started outside of the cabins.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...