• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Who's cruised Europe?

Rate this topic

zebra

One criteria I use to judge ports is the food that's available. I guess that's one reason I love the Mexican Riviera so much.

Barcelona has such great food. In the evening you can sit on La Rambla and have paella with sangria and then stroll around eating a gelato. They also serve great rabbit and squid.

In Santorini I had calamari stuffed with feta cheese and tomatoes. It was only out rivaled by the view.

We have visited Venice several times and we have our favourite restaurant, right next to the Rialto Bridge. Sitting on the side if the Grand Canal, eating fresh mussels and monkfish, drinking this time a dry Italian rose, it brings a lump to my throat.

We leave for England two weeks tomorrow. Can't wait for the fish and chips. :grin:

They sell that particular wine at our local World Markets. I'll buy a bottle next time I'm in Bakersfield. The French Rose is so crisp and clean tasting.

jbond,

Totally agree - Paella on Las Ramblas with a glass of Sangria or Spanish Roja Wine...yummmm

The paella was so unbelievable that all 3 days we were there I had Paella each day - to die for. DH is enamored with their sliced ham as appetizers, he even ordered it as his entree. Barcelona is wonderful.

In Las Ramblas in Barcelona I enjoyed the street performers. There are a number of them that line the huge promenade of Las Ramblas.

From Barcelona I enjoyed going to Montserrat, mountaintop cathedral and Benedictine monastery in Catalonia about 45 minutes from Barcelona. The mountain is almost a dramatic pinkish gray hue. It's difficult to describe how beautiful this mini city on the "jagged mountain" with shops and hotel is. Montserrat offers spectacular views of the the valley below and if you're lucky, you can be treated to songs by the boys choir or even by the monks' choir. It is also the dwelling of the statue of the Virgin of Monserrat or "The Black Madonna."

The motorcoach leaves passengers at the bottom of the mountain and passengers are transported by rail on a breathtaking journey up the side of the cliffs. The motorcoach meets the passengers at the top of the mountain for transport back to Barcelona.

• 5 years later...

One question that wasn't answered about Santorini was the port question. We were there a number of years ago and we tendered. I doubt that the island has gotten any larger since then. We donkeyed up and funiculared down, hired a car to go to Oia, where we could wander about the little streets without bumping elbows with the other 798 tourists.

I'd like to add Kusadsi and Istanbul to the list of favorite ports. Kusadasi, with so many biblical/historical places nearby, and Istanbul, where you can get lost in splendor (and with fabulous shopping, too!). and then there's Malta, with its incredible harbor. Wow!

Beyond those, I'll add a vote for Barcelona, Venice and Copenhagen. If you are on a river tour, Prague is hard to beat. The Danube tours can give you a triple treat with Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest. The Rhine cruise wouldn't even have to stop to be breathtaking, with all the castles on the hills overlooking the river, but I thought that Heidelberg was pretty special.

Obviously, one could go on and on about various ports in europe. They are all pretty special, in their own way.

We love Barcelona, Venice, and Naples. We really enjoyed our 1st cruise to Europe this past October 2010.

We plan to cruise Europe all next summer of 2012, we will be visiting a lot of ports, CAN'T Wait.

Thanks for the info on Europe, this will help us plan...

scalise12 :cool2:

• 8 months later...