• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Excursions on Cozumel (sold out before leaving)

Rate this topic

jlee2070

Hello,

We are going on the Freedom of the Seas on August 13th and was trying to sign up for some excursions. To our surprise, many of them seem to already be sold out.

My kids wanted to do "Hideaway Beach Boat Adventure" which is 2 person speed boat tour thing...

Any experiences with this and is there another way to sign up for this excursion?

The day we did the hideaway beach boat tour the ocean was a little choppy. The jarring and pressure on the spinal column was intense as the little speed boats bounced off the waves. We were up in the air, then smacked down hard on the water for 45 min. each way. Heed the neck/back problems warning on this one. We had engine trouble so were slower than the group and our boat had to be replace. We were pretty much left to fend for ourselves and find the beach. The beach is nothing special, full of seaweed. Not worth the dinero to me.

jlee, I'm sorry I can't help you with this but I just want to welcome you. It's great to see you posting. Please feel free to post your cruise date to our Meeting Hall and our CruiseCrazies calendar. Hope to see you posting here again. Welcome aboard!

Don't be discouraged, There is a lot to do there. If you are using the cruise line to book the tour, they may only have so many spots available. After all, they just use local companies to do the tours and take a cut of the money.

You may want to look at booking a tour with a company that is not through the cruise line. You may get a smaller group, and pay a lot less money.

Cozumel is still recovering from a terrible hurricane from last year. I hear they are opening a lot of new attractions. There are a few posts here on this site that were very helpful to me in making decisions where to visit.

Good luck.

From my experience, try booking this excursion as soon as you board the ship. The cruise lines usually reserve a certain percentage of spaces on excursions to be booked on board. I have not been on the Freedom but I imagine you will be able to make bookings over the inter-active TV as soon as you get to your Cabin.

The channel between Cozumel and the mainland, at Playa del Carmen, althouhg only 12 miles wide, tends to be very rough, very often. For some reason, the currents is swift and the seas are often ten feet, or more. The ride across on the ferry, a larger boat, is bad enough. I can't imagine doing it in a smaller boat...