• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What kind of camera do you use to cruise?

Rate this topic

btate

I use a Nikon 5700. It's 5 MP and has a 35-280 mm equivalent optical zoom. I like it because it feels like a DSLR, but is so much lighter. It's an all sing, all dance camera and has the option of adding a separate flash unit, which I also have. I always shoot at max MP and max quality, who knows, one day I may take a good photo and want to make a large print.

I recently bought a very compact digital, a Minolta X1. It's 8 MP and has a 3x optical zoom. I use that for taking photos at dinner or when I don't want to carry my camera bag around, say around the pool. It fits in a shirt pocket and it takes excellent photos. It's biggest drawback is that it only has a screen, no eyepiece viewfinder. It also can be used u/w with a custom case that costs around $120. I'll probably buy one before our next Caribbean cruise.

I'm not sure if I cruise for the enjoyment or the opportunity to take photos. Right now, I'm printing out a second copy of our last cruise album, all 116 pages of it.

I've looked at them, and the D50, but I'm reluctant to go back to the big lenses. My 75-300 mm SLR lens for my old film camera weighs more than all my digital cameras and flash put together. They do have a great feel though and even though the shutter lag on the non DSLR's has been improved, it still isn't as good as the DSLR.

If your upcoming cruise is the one to FP, be careful on the return journey with your 35 mm film. When we were there, Papeete airport put everything through their big scanner, carry on as well as checked. Several people found their film fogged when they had it developed.

I'm extremely happy with my Olympus C-60. It takes great stills and wonderful movies. The camera is small and fits in my pants pocket without bulging. I only take high quality images so with a 256mg chip I get 175 pix. Since memory is cheap I take extra chips when I travel. If I wanted a lesser quality picture I can take over 3,000 images but how wants lesser quality ?

I have a D70.., love it... however here are the pros and cons

Pros: professional pic

unbelievable quality and zoom capability

enlargements are crystal clear

great manual capability or you can leave it on "point and shoot"

I have had very very few bad pics

rapid shooting for sequential photos

Cons: heavy like the old SLR's (but at times worth it)

larger body so doesn't fit in the typical small purse

I love it and keep dragging it with me because my little cameras (and I am a camera junkie) just don't have the quality this one does. If you get one, I would still carry a little point and shoot (or a disposable) with you for what I call "run around" pics.. ones that are purely candid and not planned.

I haven't been on a cruise yet, but am going in March 07. I plan on taking my D70 along with my little one...

To end.. I think the most negative comment I could come up with is that it doesn't fit in my purse (unless I carry a big bag) If I am going with my SO then of course there is ho problem.. he carries it :grin:

Hope this helps

Tori

I take my Olympus C765 UZ digital camera with and a 512mb card on which I can get about 850 pics at the top resolution. I always take two spare batteries and a charger. I also take my Canon MV800 digital camcorder and about 5 spare DV tapes, three spare batteries, and, of course, the charger.