• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Gratuities

Rate this topic

Although the guaranteed tips may insure that good employees stay with the cruise line, in some cases, I think it gives some the incentitive to let things slide and only give the minimal amount of service, as they will be getting paid the same anyway. We have never carried the full amount of tips onbaord and had to keep it in the safe. We use the ATM machine and also, on Carnival, you can cash a check if you have an American Express card, so we have always done that also. When we feel that we have received excellent service, we tip above the recommended amount and I think that those who receive it, have gone the extra mile to take care of their guests. As i said before, we tipped our room stewardess $250 when the recommended amount for the 2 of us was $140, but she earned it. I will always request that our tips be given to the ship's employees on the last night, in cash, instead of being pre-paid. I realize there is an abundance of opinions on the matter and everyone should do what they are comfortable with.

Pre-paid, as someone has already said are included with the final cruise fare payment well in advance of the cruise. It seems to me that this thread is really about the automatic tips added to our on board accounts. Why this upsets some people I don't understand. It is simply a convenience for all of us. It is in no way tipping anybody anything in advance. First you may go to the Purser anytime day or night any day of the cruise. You may remove all, part, or add to the tips at your leisure. Second it is only a memo billing on your account, it is not charged to your credit card until after the cruise is over. So actually you hold onto your money a little while longer than using cash. Lastly, the employees do not receive your auto-tips until after the cruise is over and they know you can adjust or remove the tips at any time. As opposed to the old cash last nite method where more than HALF the pax were skipping the last meal top avoid tipping, the employees know the new systems results in more tips for them and I have seen better service as they work for over tips.

Dan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually prepay. we also give some more, if deemed earned for good service. We also tell them we have prepayed (at the end of course) and want to add a bit more for their great work. Actually I think for the most part if you are nice with those serving you they are nice in return as well.

• 1 month later...