• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska in September

Rate this topic

rwams

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've done this trip -- eons ago. The trip is fantastic -- however, the weather is cool -- actually, cold. We took winter clothes, and a heavy jacket was most welcome on deck as we cruised glacier bay. And an umbrella is a definite essential. As the natives say, if it isn't raining, it's getting ready to.

However, I'd do it again.

Avie

Just hope I don't melt any glaciers - don't want Al Gore breathing down my neck - it's already sweaty enough back there tee-hee.

I am saving all sorts of money though - I can press a fine seam into dh's pants just by sitting on them and sliding a bit :shocked:

Joey - smores yum!!! Now I'm hungry - again!

The great thing about Alaska for us is not having to fly to get on a cruise - just a quick 45 minute drive and we're at Canada Place. Guess we will have to get booked on that one in the next few weeks.

You'll love it Jennifer! Wish I could just drive, I hate to fly and I love going to Alaska. Guess I'll decide after our flights in a few weeks whether we want to fly across the country again or not but I'll be going sooner or later the call of the scenery is really strong lately!

I'm not going to melt any glaciers just yet..........but it's getting close! LOL

We just got back, yesterday, from 7 days in Alaska on the NCL Sun. It was cool, (mid to upper 50's ) but dressing in layers helped. A water repellant jacket or rain coat is almost a must. None of our excursions were cancelled, we did the Whale watch, Wildlife Quest in Juneau, in Stephen's Passage. Saw a lot of whales, and a small island where there were probably 120 sea lions lounging about. It rained for one short bit, but then was just cloudy to very partly sunny. Also did the Lighthouse, Eagle and Totems excursion in Ketchican, and a Yukon Jeep adventure in Skagway. DH and BIL even did the helicopter glacier thing in Skagway. Went up with no problems. D sister and I stayed on the ground and wandered about town and shopped.

I really enjoyed having the balconey, this was a first for us, because you had the comfort of your cabin while still being able to see the awesome scenery. We had the door open most of the time...the balconey was protected enough that there was very little wind, and the rain never came in.

But like everyone else has said.....the scenery makes it all worth while. Last week the fall flowers had begun to bloom and some of the mountains in the Yukon were just carpeted with gold, red, and purple....just breath taking.

:cool: The weather will be a crap shoot I think. A friend of mine did a repositioning cruise last yr. from Alaska to FLA. thru the Panama canal. It began in mid to late Sept. and he said Alaska then was quite cold. It'll be your luck I think. I hope its on your side. :wink: