• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska in September

Rate this topic

rwams

Rick, we did the inside Passage on 8/11, just a few weeks ago. We had watched all the weather reports closely before we left so we'd know what to pack. When we got there, we did have drizzle in Juneau, but we were pretty well covered anyway, because we did the white water rafting...they provided all the rain gear we needed.

Everywhere else we stopped, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Victoria, was sunny, although it had been predicted for rain the entire time we were there.

The captain did say we hit a great week because it had rained everywhere, all summer long. I also saw someone else post on another website that he went the week after us and most of the excursions had been cancelled because of the weather. He loved the scenery, but was disappointed they couldn't do everything they wanted.

The only excursions that were cancelled on our trip was the helicopter trips...too cloudy/foggy to fly. Those people were terribly disappointed, and couldn't get on to other excursions because they were already filled up.

The only day it was cold for us was the day we were in Juneau, because of the rain, but when we did the Inside Passage 12 years ago and cruised in Glacier Bay, it was extremely cold...we wore heavy coats, gloves, hats. That was in a July.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Tim, my DH owns his own CPA firm (taxes and corporate monthly, etc.)and January-May is almost impossible to get away of course. We are fortunate enough to live in Central Florida only an hour from Pt. Canaveral so a quick cruise in between the w2's/1099's and the craziness of tax season is only possible that weekend.

It's the first time we're trying this but think it will serve as a great way to rest up for the coming months. We just get on on Friday and get off on Monday probably not getting off the ship since we've done this many times before.

Joey, the weather is pretty unpredictable during the summer. We have gone in May, June and July. The July trip was the rainiest and the coldest. The best was the end of May. It was HOT in Juneau 80 degrees! That was a real shock since we had only sweaters and long pants. David doesn't do well in the cold????

Joey our roots are in Africa & Florida - enough said about warm weather. The neatest thing about the cruise to ALaska is that you can stay inside the ship (if you so desire) and observe everything through the large windows, so David doesn't even have to venture out. I personally feel there is NO other cruise like Alaska - too beautiful for words!

Saltydog - I'm also a Tax Consultant - as you say no cruising happens between Jan - Apl 15th....but we are retiring in 2 weeks time so hopefully things will change for us (althought they want me back - I've done taxes for them for 11 years) and we'll be able to sail any month we want to :grin:

LOL Jennifer! I hear ya! I'll help anywhere I can if you need assistance just ask.

I agree with zebra.....nothing like an Alaskan cruise! The scenery alone is well worth it for us. I've gone 3 times and am considering going next summer again. It's been 4 years and that's way too long for me.

David we are former NYer's now in FL many years so our blood is thinned but I'll grin and bear it for a glimpse of those lovely mountains, glaciers and the spectacular wildlife. We went to NYC last October and we were freezing! LOL.