• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Have you really seen Alaska w/o seeing Glacier bay

Rate this topic

jacketwatch

:cool: Well as folks who eschew seeing the same place twice (after all its a big world with lots to see) we are thinking of another Alaskan cruse to see what we missed, esp. Glacier bay. Our cruise there last yr. hit the usual ports and did go through Tracy arm but no College fiord or Glacier bay. Is it worth going again to see these sights? :cool:

Went to Glacier Bay, College fjord, etc. last year.

alt text

While it was a beautiful once in a lifetime experience . . . . that's what it was . . . a ONCE in a lifetime experience. We spent a lot of money to watch ice melt and I'd have to think that there is not much difference between one glacier and another.

I'd spend my time and money seeing the sights on land tours at cruise ports.

We have done Alaska 3 times and may go again next year. We have seen Hubbard Glacier twice & Glacier Bay. Between the 2 I'd choose Hubbard, the calving there was spectacular, Glacier bay just didn't give us that joy and we weren't impressed. We did it because everyone said it was a must see...... Not IMHO

We went to Alaska in 2000 and cruised Glacier Bay...it was awesome. We cruised again a month ago and cruised Tracy Arm, and did a land tour that included Mendenhall Glacier....it also was awesome. The first time we did the land tour first, then the cruise. This time it was just the cruise and I honestly preferred just the cruise. (Didn't have to have seperate luggage for the overnighters in different places for one thing.) We did entirely different land tours this time, and I think we saw a lot more. I'd go back again just because, as others said, there is so much to see. No way does one or two cruises cover it.

P.S. This time we did the Yukon Jeep off roading adventure with NCL...it was absolutely worth the being bounced around in a jeep for 20 miles. The 90 miles of scenery on The Yukon Highway is breath taking!! Especially in September..the fall flowers were in bloom, and the mountains were gorgeous!

I'm not saying one is better than the other, we just had different experiences at each. We were not fortunate to see any calving at Glacier Bay but many at Mendenhall. I too was told it was a not to miss, even without the calving it was beautiful. With the weather changes in recent years it seems to be a guessing game these days as to which is "better for calving". I have marvelous pics from both places and would choose based on the rest of the itinerary not the glacier visit.

Only true must not miss to me, is Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. Whether you take a helicopter, or the bus to see the face it is an amazing site. I've gone each time we've been there and it still amazes me with it's massive size and brilliant color.