• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Get Away from it All - But Stay in Touch

Rate this topic

Jason

Get Away from it All - But Stay in Touch

Source: ARA News

For many people, a cruise is the perfect way to leave all your worries behind at the dock. While on the ocean, being pampered 24 hours a day, it can seem like home and office are far away indeed.

However, there are times when you want to be able to reach your family, or to take an important business call. But chances are your cell phone won't be able to access a signal at sea, and it will only work in foreign ports if it is GSM-capable.

Most ships provide ship-to-shore phone service, but it's not cheap. The average charge is between $5 and $8 per minute, although at least one cruise line charges a whopping $25 per minute. Using the Internet is another option for keeping in touch. Most ships are wired for Internet access, but again, expect to pay for it by the minute.

The best solution for staying in touch on a cruise is a satellite phone. Because they receive their signal from satellites orbiting the earth, these phones work anywhere on the planet - including oceans and mountains - as long as there is a clear line of sight between the satellite phone's antenna and the sky. This makes them ideal for cruise ships and boats, airplanes, wilderness travel, mountain climbing, safaris and other remote areas.

But don't feel like you need to run out and buy a satellite phone for your upcoming cruise. Thanks to Roadpost, you can rent one for as long as you need it. The service is convenient and simple. You can place your order online and your phone will be shipped to arrive on the date you specify. If an unexpected business trip comes up, Roadpost can provide next-day delivery for most cities.

When your phone is shipped from Roadpost, you receive an e-mail confirmation that contains your satellite cell phone number so you can leave it with family members and business contacts; Roadpost even provides business cards preprinted with this phone number.

The easy-to-use phone lets you receive incoming text messages and voicemail, as well as short e-mails. You'll also get an extra battery, as well as an adapter and accessories for all your destinations. Roadpost provides 24-hour technical support for all phones.

When you return from your travels, simply ship the phone back to Roadpost using the pre-paid return kit the company provides. For frequent travelers, Roadpost offers monthly airtime plans with bundled minutes that carry forward. This way, you will always have the same number while you are away from home and your phone is always ready and waiting for your next trip.

Interesting. But, I really want to get away from it all. I loved the days when there was no TV in the staterooms and the internet did not exist. The only thing I had to get away from then was my pager. :grin:

I must admit I do use the internet when I'm cruising Princess, mostly because it's free at our Captain's Club level. If I'm on another cruise line I use internet cafes ashore from time to time.

I still cling to the 'old way.' When I started sailing, there were no satellites, so the only TV you saw was what they brought on board, via tape! No cell phones; no Times Fax; and, if you wanted to call home, you could go the the Radio Room, betwee 3:00 and 5:00 pm. That was it!

Once you boarded the ship, you were in a different world, completely cut off from things back home.

Now, that was a real vacation.