• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

first cruise for our daughter

Rate this topic

vcop102

Hi,

I`m Vicky from Alabama.My husband and I have been on several cruises.We adopted our daughter from China 3 years ago asnd she justed turned 4.She really gets carsick so we didn`t know about the cruising.She does just fine flying so I think we are going to try it.She loves to travel even with the carsickness.I wouldn`t want to go anywhere if I was in her place.We have flown to the Dominican Republic twice since we got her.Has anyone had kids to get carsick but not seasick?I have talked to a couple of adults that get carsick but do fine on the ship.Thanks for your help!

I am sure it is different for everyone, but my wife gets very carsick, unless she is driving. . On a cruise however, the only time she gets sick is when there are 20ft swells and the boat is rocking back and forth like crazy.

I have heard the same thing from many people.

Hi VIcky. Welcome to the forum. My best friend gets soooooo carsick. if she isn't driving, she has to take dramamine. However, her only time on board a ship, she was not at all affected even though she did pack the medication just in case. I can't speak from experience as i have never been carsick - well sometimes driving thru the mountains on very curvy roads, I do get a little queasy and have to close my eyes (and no, I am not driving at the time...I knew some of you guys would ask that!!!).

Welcome aboard, Vicky. We're so glad to have you as a member of our CruiseCrazies family. Vicky, have you ever given your daughter dramamine and if so, how does she do with that? Also, when the ship does rock a bit , my daughter and I take the non-drowsy type and we do fine. My mom always wears the patch and does very well with that, but I don't know if they give that to children or not. Maybe you can check with your pediatrician about the patch. Anyway, let us know what you decide . Again, welcome aboard and we hope you'll become a regular here and hope to get to know you. Cheryl

Hi Vicky, welcome to the board.

I get carsick and seasick...but seasick only on small boats. I can't go the 26 miles from Long Beach to Catalina Island on the commuter boat without turning green! I can't even get into a rowboat. If I sit in the back seat of a car, it's curtains.

However, I've never been seasick on a ship. I do carry Bonine with me. Bonine doesn't make me drowsy, while Dramamine does.

When our kids were little, I asked the pediatician about it and he told me a half of a Bonine would be okay...never more. But do ask the pediatrician before you do that. My kids are grown now, so that may have changed, or maybe he could suggest something better for your child. I'm not sure about using a patch on a child. While it worked for me on our very first cruise, when I took it off I couldn't see for 24 hours. I don't think I'd want to do that to a baby.

Thanks everyone.I feel very welcome here.We have tried the dramamine but not the Bonine.Our pediatrician even gave us the phenergen gel to rub on her wrist.It knocks her out but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.I know she will love a cruise.You couldn't ask for a better child to travel with.She loves vacation.I wish we could afford a Disney cruise but they are too expensive.With Carnival we can drive to Mobile or New Orleans.I think I am really wanting to do the Triumph cruise next November that goes to Belize.We havent been there and my inlaws haven't been on one of the big Carnival Ships.Decisions!Decisions!I drive my husband crazy every year until I get something booked.He gets to the point where he doesn't care where we go .JUST BOOK SOMETHING!!!

I know he loves these forums because I can talk to someone besides him.

:cool: Welcome. :smiley: Actually my wife can get car sick in slow, bumper to bumper traffic but at sea she usually does well. On our last trip she got seasick but that was due to choppy seas, a small ship and a bad cabin location. We were initially all the way forward but managed to change to an amidships location and with positive results. :cool: