• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Help me decide! Vancouver to Hawaii?

Rate this topic

Labbysmom

Please help me decide! I've narrowed down the search to 2 cruises - Vancouver to Hawaii in September 07.

Pacific Princess: smaller more intimate ship, only 9 days, might be a rougher crossing due to her size. Signifigant birthday is during cruise.

Norweigian Sun: larger ship, casual as in freestyle dining, not as consistent in reputation, longer cruise with more of the islands. Signifigant birthday is on departure day.

I'm losing sleep! I have to make a decison soon (today). I'd appreciate all pros and cons.

Just to add to the mix, there's always a flight to Hawaii and then a cruise around the islands.

:shocked: I'm just not sure!

Thanks all!

My choices would be:

1. Norwegian Sun

2. Fly to Hawaii and take a cruise

3. Pacific Princess

The significant birthday can be celebrated the entire cruise. It doesn't necessarily have to be on that day. I would certainly choose the longer cruise, if you have the time available. And definitely choose a larger ship over a smaller one if I was crossing the ocean.

I'm not sold on the idea that a smaller ship gets tossed around a lot more than a larger ship. Based solely on my experience with 3 larger than 100k ton ships getting tossed around pretty good anyway. No real difference to the 30k and 50k ton ships I've also been on. I wouldn't let that be my deciding factor anyway.

My concern with a smaller ship would be the fewer amenities. But that depends on what you are looking to do. I don't need 116,000 tons of ship around me if I want to sit back, read a book and get a tan LOL.

Even though I really like Princess and am not very impressed with NCL's reputation (I haven't sailed them so no first hand account), I would likely take the NCL just because you mention the cruise goes to more islands. If I was going all that way, I would want to see more while there, because who knows if/when I would be back.

Hi Labbysmom...

If you've never been to Hawaii, I would fly in and stay a couple of days and then cruise around the islands. You would have much more time to see and do things, like an evening luau, or all day at the Polynesian Cultural Center. If you've already been to Hawaii at least once, I would choose cruising from Vancouver with Princess.

You may get a couple of rough sea days anyway, so just bring the meclizine. We had some rough sea days (only a couple) coming out of San Diego when we cruised on the "Infinity" to Hawaii in December of 2004. Infinity is around 90,000 GRT, and we still felt the seas. It was only for a couple of days on our way out and the rest was pretty much smooth sailing. Good luck on your decision!

Just looked back at your post. If the Princess cruise is only 9 nights you must fly back from Hawaii then. You would definitely not have much time in Hawaii unless you stayed on for a couple of days.

I would go for the cruise that gives me the most time in Hawaii, although I would choose Princess over NCL. I think it all depends on if you've been to Hawaii before and how much time you want to spend there as to how much time you want on the ship.

It takes 5 nights and 4 days to sail one way to Hawaii, so I'm assuming you would be flying back on the Princess cruise. You could always take that cruise and stay a few days extra at a hotel on Oahu before you flew home.

I think it's important to either stay a couple of nights at a hotel on the islands or have a cruise that stays overnight in Maui or Oahu so you have more time to do the evening things like the luau or the all day excursions like the Polynesian Culteral Center. The evening show there is a must, I think!

Thanks for the input!

I've been to Hawaii, stayed on Kauai and Maui and Oahu. We thought if we took the 9 day'er we would opt to find something on the Northside of Oahu for a few days. We stayed in Wailkiki for 5 days on our way home from Australia. Hadn't been on Oahu for 26 years - we would not return to that area to stay because we found it too busy for our tastes now.

Having only cruised once previously and it was a 4 day mini cruise on HAL to Sitka Alaska. I really don't consider that a 'cruise', just a sail! LOL

I know Princess is considered a better shipline but I really don't have anything to compare it to.

The NCL is 4 days longer and only $100 more per person.

Re NCL: how easy is it to bring 'liquids' aboard? I've heard some lines are very strict, others not. Do Balcony suites have fridges?

Its a tough decison but someone has to make it! :cheesy:

Hi Labbysmom...

The NCL cruise for 4 days longer for only another $200, sounds like it would be a good choice. I just looked at the itinerary on NCL website, and it looks good. You have two different days in Maui on different sides of the island and an overnight in Oahu. Six nights and 5 days at sea coming from Vancouver. Lots of great sea time. Makes me want to go again!

I haven't been on NCL since the '80s, and the Norway, so hopefully someone here can answer your other questions. Hope you have a great cruise whatever you decide. Have a mai-tai for me! :grin: Aloha!