• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

St. Maarten/St. Thomas tours

Rate this topic

Seabeacon

Hey Pam, we have been to both ports numerous times, but usually do not take the tours. We did take one a few years ago that took us over to St. John's and I loved it there. We have done mainly shopping. Both are great places to buy jewelry. My son, who has a motorcycle, collects Harley T-shirts from different places, and there is a Harley Davidson dealer right in the middle of the shopping area in St. Thomas,(sells mainly clothes) if you are interested in that. There is also a little "market square" where you can get very inexpensive souvenirs right at the edge of the shopping area. A trip into town will require a taxi. In St. Thoms, there is a very nice shopping area right there at the ship. As I said, I can't give you any info about tours but if you log onto the cruiseline's website, they should list their shore excursions. Congrats on your first cruise - as soon as you board that ship, you will be as hooked as the rest of us are.

St. Thomas has gotten very, very commercialized and isn't the bargain duty-free port it used to be. With seven, or eighgt, cruise ships stopping there, daily (sometimes more!!!), dropping off an average of 1,500 passengers, each, the stores don't have too much competition. There's enough business for everyone. Prices are MUCH better in St. Maarten...

All the tourist sights get very crowded, including Magen's Bay and Mountain Top.

When St. Thomas is one of my ports, I take the ferry to St. John! St. John remains mostly unspoiled, since most of the island is a National Park, administered by the U.S. Park Service. There are great beaches and decent snorkeling.

We did the helicopter tour and it was really sweet.

The pilot was in her twenties and once she felt we were comfortable she asked if we wanted to make it more exciting.

It turned into a helicopter rollercoster tour.

I have some excellent video and we saw everything it was sweet

Pam. if you know the excursion you want, and the ship offers it, I would go ahead and book it thru the cruise line. Even though we do not normally do tours, when we do, we go with the ship's offering. If you are positive that is the one you want, I don't see any reason to wait.