• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Excursions

Rate this topic

Hi All

I have 34 days until my cruise and I am finally getting around to booking my excursions but I'd like some advice from some seasoned cruisers. Do you recommend sticking with one excursion per port or do you think it is better to do as much as possible? I feel as though there is so much to see and do that I don't want to miss anything but am concerned about getting back to the boat in time, having enough time, and enjoying everything I do. I am booking all my excursions through Carnival for the ship Destiny. Also any input on excursions would be great. They just changed the itinerary to include St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, and Antigua. Thanks everyone.

Diane

We are doing this cruise on Destiny in February. In St Thomas I've never taken an excursion. One time I took a taxi to Coki Beach. Most times I take a taxi to Red Hook and a 20 minute ferry to St John's. Then a taxi to Cinnamon Bay or Trunk Bay, in the National Park. Then taxi back to port, take the ferry and shop by the pier.

In Dominica, where I've only been once and took a snorkeling excursion, I'm not sure yet.

In Barbados you can do excursions to Harrison's cave, rum plants, catamoran snorkel, pirate ships, etc. Or you can take a bus to the best snorkeling beach on the island, Folkestone Park. You can take a taxi to the Beach Club for the day. No excursions needed. We did the Jolly Roger Excursion one time.

In St Lucia you should see the Twin Petons, volcanic mounts, and do some beach and snorkel time. Excursions would be fine.

In Antigua I would suggest just hiring a car/taxi, negotiating, at the pier and spend the day touring the island. Less expensive than shipboard excursions and you will see more. I did do a catamaran snorkel excursion there once.

In other words, plan one big thing and do it. Whether by excursion or on your own. Don't try to do it all at once. It is vacation after all. Don't wear yourself out.

Looks like you and JohnG may possibly be on the same cruise. We did the Destiny again on our last cruise. In Dominica, we got a cab and the guy gave us a 2 hr. tour of the island for $20 each. He took us all over and showed us interesting sights, and then took us up to a waterfall that you have to pay to get into, then it is just a short walk to the observation deck - can't remember the name of the falls. After he took us back to the pier, we did some shopping, which was just right there across from it. Dominica really is a beautiful island. Here is a couple of pics I took of hubby there. You can see how lovely that port is....

Okay, now that I have done the math, looks like you will be sailing the week before John.

alt text

alt text

:cool2: Personally my approach would be different. For those ports (we did some of them on the Destiny in 2003) I did some research (not hard to do really) and scoped out the sights we wanted to see. Then we got off and did it on out own. Its much cheaper this way and you are on your own time. If you take the ships tours don't worry about missing the boat. They will wait for you. Just relax, have fun and don't try to see it all at once. You can't. Thats why you take another cruise. :biggrin: