• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise ship releasing 45 green sea turtles off Big Isle

Rate this topic

Jason

Cruise ship releasing 45 green sea turtles off Big Isle[/size]

By Jan TenBruggencate, Advertiser Kaua'i Bureau

Forty-five green sea turtles were to be released from a cruise ship into the deep sea off the east side of the Big Island last night in a collaboration between NCL America and NOAA's Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center.

The 5-month-old turtles, which have been raised at Sea Life Park, are the result of the park's captive breeding program. The animals will be released from the NCL ship Pride of Hawai'i under the direction of NOAA biologist George Balazs. It is the second release of turtles from an NCL America ship. In October, four turtles were released carrying satellite tags.

One of the turtles left its release point north of Kaua'i, swam to the north shore of Kaua'i, cruised around the west side of the island, took a big curving course to the south side of O'ahu, then headed north from Makapu'u for about 100 miles, and then west. At last report, it was north of a point midway between Kaua'i and Nihoa.

Another turtle passed south of Nihoa and was far west of Kaua'i at last check. A third headed north from Kaua'i, then cut directly south and appeared to make a stop at Nihoa before heading farther southwest. The fourth headed directly north from its release point, then south to the east side of Kaua'i, east along the southern shore of O'ahu and was last cruising the waters of west Moloka'i.

• 5 months later...