• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

When did you take your first cruise?

Rate this topic

SMB

I have travel abroad extensively and have even spent multiple weeks in St. Maarten, but I always looked at the people wandering on an off cruise ships as if they were NUTS. Who in their right mind would want to be on a ship when you can sit on the beach everyday from sunrise to sunset or tour fantistic cities and countrysides in Europe and elsewhere. Then I gave in to my wife's desires (and my own craving for the beach) in 2005 and went on my first cruise. Let's just say I must have changed my mind, because I've already taken a second cruise and I'm planning more.

When in your travel life did you start cruising and why (we all know why we continue to cruise :laugh: )?

So as to not feel as though the age question is too personal, respond with:

Early = child to 20's

Mature = 30's to 50's

Seasoned = 60's plus

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went on our first cruise out of NO on the Holiday to the Western Caribbean. The cruise was recommended by a family member. My wife wanted to do the all inclusive resort thing but after comparing apples to apples the cruise just seemed much more feasible. I finally talked her into the cruise and we had the best time. So much so that she went into the travel business and started selling them. She no longer does that but would take as many cruises as we could. Our first cruise was in 2002 and we have been on a total of 4 cruises now.

I went on my first cruise in 2000. The thing that sparked my interest was on a family trip to New Orleans while I was still living at home with the parents. I saw one of the large cruise ships and thought how fun that would be. I wanted to cruise not for the destinations, but just for the chance to actually ride on ship that was so huge.

For me my first cruise was in my mid twenties

Hiya SMB My Friend Ill go for Mature :smile: Our eighth cruise is coming up in October,Me and Annie are confined to the Western Caribbean due to our Vacations and being able to get off together,we probably will do some Med cruising when we retire within Three Years hopefully :ohmy: But for now this suits us we can always find things to do On or Off the Ship! :wink2: Thanks for asking and Posting this My Friend! :smile:

My DH and I (mature) are fairly new to cruising, just started 4 years ago. We were on vacation in Acapulco in 2003, and were talked into a time share venture and one of the incentives was a 7 day Caribbean cruise. We took it and have been hooked ever since. We still take our land vacations every year, but we try to get in at least 1 or 2 cruises also.

Hmm, I started cruising on my Rich Uncle Sammy's all expeses paid line as a youngster in 1989. After I joined the ranks of the Mature and retired from that life in 2004, my lovely bride and I decided to try a cruise from Baltimore in 2005, and I dreaded it. I was practically furious by the time we got onboard and got to our stateroom. We had booked a 7th deck balcony on Grandeur for 9 nights and I just thought I was going to hate it. We spent about 20 minutes trying to get into our room, 2 trips to the Purser's desk before we realized I was trying to get into someone elses room! The upgrade fairy had visited and we all dropped the ball, I was supposed to be in an 8th deck JS, things were starting to look up. By the time I was done with dinner that first night, I was pretty relaxed. Crashed early that night to the gentle rocking of the sea, and after 11 hours, when I woke up and finished breakfast, I was hooked. It's all over now, we have to have at least two cruises booked, just to feel safe. I even bought a copy of RCL's TA guidebook on EBay. This addiction I can live with, though. Happy sailing.

My 1st cruise was way back in 1966. It was on the old Italian Line ship, Leonardo Da Vinci. It was our senior class trip in Nursing School. There was 20 of us on the cruise, 2 men and 18 women. I had a great time on that cruise, but it was hard to evaluate if it was just because of the cruise that I had such a good time or due to other reasons (I was single back then). :blush: In 1999, Cindy and I were looking to do something nice for our 20th aniversary and we decided to take a cruise. She happened to be on that 1st cruise also, but we were not even dating at the time. We loved our 1999 cruise so much, that we both got hooked on cruising.As they say, the rest is history. :biggrin:

My DH and I are new cruisers after extensive land traveling thorugh the US, Europe and Asia we were talked in to a Mediterranian Cruise this past October. We had a great time - met a lot of nice crazies and plan on another cruise in 2008 to the Baltic this time. [/size]

Kareen,

My in-laws cruised the Baltic last Summer. They loved it. My mother-in-law cruises a great deal, with and without her hubby. When I asked her to rate the Baltic, she said it was the best cruise yet, even above her old favorites - Alaska and the QEII through the canal zone. I know it is a long wait for you, but excellent times are ahead!

SMB

Our first cruise was in Sept 1997 for our delayed honeymoon. We decided it was the perfect vacation for us. We are totally relaxed on the high seas with all the stress of life left on shore. We especially enjoy being waited on hand and foot.