• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Whats the funniest or odddest thing to happen to you on a cruise?

Rate this topic

jacketwatch

:cool2: Has anything happened to you that is really funny in an odd way? We had a great, funny super personable cab driver in Naples but something got lost in translation when I asked him to take us to a genuine, authentic place for lunch, you know a place where the locals go. I pictured a nice cafe, sitting on a sidewalk table enjoying the view and fine Italian food. Where did he take us to? A truck stop! :biggrin::biggrin:

I remember while walking around Cozumel I looking for a large supermarket, so approached a local and mustered up my best Spanish, which I don't speak at all and asked "Donde esta la marquetta grande?"

He replied, "Do you mean the supermarket?"

My traveling companion got a real chuckle out of that.

Being a history teacher, I collect history themed ties to wear in class. I've been looking for an Ancient Americas tie (Maya, Inca, Aztec). I thought Playa del Carmen would be the perfect place to look. Long story short, asking for a tie at the beach is like asking for an ice cream from an eskimo... but the looks and gestures are priceless.

PS: I've eaten at an Autostrada truckstop. :wacko: This is NOT where Italians eat if given a chance. :rolleyes2: I think the better explanation is this is the only place the taxi driver could get to with those tiny streets in Naples. There are several great places to eat in the pedestrian zone in centro Napoli.