• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Missing cruise visitor found in good health

Rate this topic

Jason

Missing cruise visitor found in good health

Source: The Daily Herald[/size]

~ Says report was 'just a mix up' ~

PHILIPSBURG--Fifty-year-old Kathleen Feeney of New Jersey in the United States of America (USA) told The Daily Herald just hours after she was found by police that the story of her going missing on the island was "just a mix-up."

She said she had simply missed her cruise ship the Carnival Valor on March 1 when she arrived on the island and after several failed attempts at getting an airline ticket at Princess Juliana International Airport (PJIA), she had rented a hotel room and stayed while trying to sift through the different pieces of information she had been given about how a person in her position would be able to travel, considering that her passport had been left on board the ship.

Chief Prosecutor Taco Stein said he was very pleased to learn that Feeney was well and in good health, and that she had just been enjoying the island. Stein confirmed that her absence had nothing to do with a crime of any sort.

Police spokesman Ricardo Henson told reporters that based on tips police had received from residents who recognised the tourist from photos posted in the local print media, they had been able to locate her at a local hotel.

They ensured first that she was well and were able to provide her with telephone contact with her family in the US. She was later assisted by management and staff of SEL Maduro and Sons, the local agents for the cruise line. They ensured that Feeney received an airplane ticket and that she was put on a plane Tuesday afternoon back to the US where her family awaits her arrival home.

Feeney said she had loved her stay on the island. She told this newspaper, "I had a wonderful time. The police found me and when they said that they were looking for me, at first I asked why, and then they told me there was a report that I was reported as a missing person." She said she had been able to take in some sights on one of the days when she took a taxi to the French side. However, she had mostly stayed in her room with the exception of having left on one occasion to purchase a sandwich.

I'm glad to see that this story has a good ending. It sounds like she was in St. Maarten.

I wonder if we need to start carrying our passports with us when we leave the ship in case something like that happens to us. Also, the Carnival hands out a paper with important telephone numbers in case there is an emergency. It's real important to have those numbers so the people don't go crazy looking for you or have to alert authorities to look for you if you are perfectly fine.

She seemed very calm and made the best of a bad situation, but she should have contacted the ship or island authorities. Afterall, she was like an illegal alien traveling without proper documentation in a foreign country.

Now SMB, you know we'll have to come after you.

Wait a minute! You can still post messages from St. Maarten. O.K. We'll make like we can't find you. :biggrin::biggrin:

I don't know what she was feeling, but I'd be out of my mind. I'd rather be eating my way from one end of the ship to the other. She really went cold turkey by having to pay for accommodations and meals. It means she didn't get to eat as much and what about all that available entertainment that seems like it's free.

No, I'd rather have made it back to the ship.

I am glad there is a happy ending to this story but I am a little puzzled. Our ship the Crown Princess was tied up beside the Carnival Valor (I doubled checked my pictures) and she must have really overstayed in St. Maarten because our ship left shortly after 6 p.m. There were tons of people still boarding the Carnival and then there was excitement at the dock, I couldn't see anything from our balcony but all I heard was a lot of yelling and someone from the Carnival running over to our boat with a life ring. We couldn't tell if someone fell off the dock or not. Luckily I was able to yell over to a Carnival passenger on their balcony and she said we had a dolphin stuck between the ship and the dock. Soon after there were cheers from the passengers on the Valor -- the dolphin was freed. We were the first ship to pull out to loads of cheers and waves from the Valor (they were a lively bunch).