• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Man overboard rescued

Rate this topic

Suzila

:cool2: The cook was toasted AFAIK. Actually the Cameron movie "Titanic" was spot on in many details. If you recall the cook, with flask in hand, was on the stern when the ship went under and from what I read about the Titanic (and I've read as much as I can find) this was indeed true. I also read a passage that he didn't even get his hair wet. Not sure about how long he was in that icy water however.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cool2: I did some research and found this tidbit of info from a great, great web site, www.imdb.com where you can find just about anything about most movies ever made. There is a trivia section inre to each movie, in this case "Titanic" and they said this about the drunken chef:

"When the stern of the ship is vertical, Chief Baker Joughin (Liam Tuohy, in white) is drinking from a flask. Joughin was one of few to survive the freezing water, allegedly due to the alcohol (but this is disputed as unlikely since alcohol is known to accelerate hypothermia, not to help resist cold). The scene was added after Liam showed the flask to James Cameron explaining that it was a family heirloom as old as the Titanic itself".

I don't think anyone can survive moe than a few minutes in water that cold so what I read about him finding debris to climb onto seems likely. Alcohol would accelerate his hypothermia. :cool2:

He Jumped From His Balcony, not through the Window! :wink2: The Balconies have sliding doors like Apartments where you slide the door open and then your on a open Area, The Balcony And your right Windows dont open in the Cabins! It was The Balcony Mebert! :wink2: You Get the Open Door Award! LOL! Also they probably will put one of those things you have to blow on to open the Balcony door like when DWI drivers have to blow into the tube to start their car! :laugh:

I believe if you check you will find that the Glory Balcony doors are not sliding but open outward. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Staterooms/Glory-Staterooms.aspx

I was only going by the ships Ive been on they all slide backwards to enter the Balcony, But thanks for correcting me It really dpoesnt matter as it was the Balcony anyways ! :wink2:

Any way you stack this up, look at it or compare it, the guy deserved to at least take himself out of the gene pool. I just don't understand how stupid a person has to be before doing something like this.

hazelson, btate, Denna Beana, and Friendship Teacher,

I didn't see him on GMA, but I agree with you all. It's such a strange spin to make this man's irresponsible drinking heroic. It was extremely inconvenient for the other passengers and it must have been nerve racking for the crew. It can't imagine being responsible for a ship when something like that happens.

I'm glad he was saved but the cruiseline should sue him. This should be a lesson to him to moderate his drinking.

I must add a disclaimer in that I've commented on all of this without knowing all of the facts. But if the drinking story holds up, I'm sticking with the way I feel.